Planning to buy a flowerhorn

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Mine loves digging. It will re-dig near same spot after I clean the gravel. I have about 1/2” of substrate.
View attachment 1401496
I have been reading a little, it's the male making nest for female to lay eggs. I am still concerned about gunk getting saturated under gravel like this, because for now the pleco eats all small particles flowerhorn drops while eating.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
It will not make much difference in cleaning time and if they substrate is thin or just barely scattered over the bottom it wont accumulate much waste.

Agreed, just go light and it's all good. It's not like you have a 500 gallon tank to siphon. :)

I've kept a lot of cichlids over several decades, some fish more than others will 'work' substrate. Some to the point where it becomes an obsession. I've seen both sides of the coin.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
I added a handful in tank, he thinks it's food and puts in his mouth and spits back. I have to be careful to not put all pallets in now, as they sink and he might not find them.

20200118_100803.jpg

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
I added a handful in tank, he thinks it's food and puts in his mouth and spits back. I have to be careful to not put all pallets in now, as they sink and he might not find them.
Why so paranoid? Its a fish. If it cant find pellets amonst rocks its not worthy of life being a flowerhorn and all haha. My larger cichlids suck in mouthfuls of rocks when I feed them snails, they spit out the rocks and crush the snail shells and then spit them out like they are eating sunflower seeds...
He can handle life amongst the gravel.

Ruturaj

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Seattle, WA
Why so paranoid? Its a fish. If it cant find pellets amonst rocks its not worthy of life being a flowerhorn and all haha. My larger cichlids suck in mouthfuls of rocks when I feed them snails, they spit out the rocks and crush the snail shells and then spit them out like they are eating sunflower seeds...
He can handle life amongst the gravel.
Thanks, I meant only to avoid waste, not put all 12 pallets in at the same time, just feed 4 at a time and wait a few seconds.

JSpilo

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2016
Maryland
Thanks, I meant only to avoid waste, not put all 12 pallets in at the same time, just feed 4 at a time and wait a few seconds.
Feeding yours a few at time is a good idea.
Mine doesn't look for food on the bottom so I only feed floating pellets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store