Plant choices placement- questions.

FiremouthGem

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2014
Pennslyvania
Hey all, i wanted to ask some questions about plants for an aquarium i am trying to scape, I've narrowed down the species I've been looking at, trouble is i think i chose to many background plants?.. I love the look of Anubias Coffeefolia and The Tiger Lotus. I also want to hide the filter intake tubes with Vallisneria. Any recommendations? I don’t want to crowd the firemouths, swordtails and plecos that i plan on getting while still having a nice looking 75 gallon that is functional after being fully cycled. I figured get the plants sooner so they can start getting established.

Kolton13

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2019
Hey all, i wanted to ask some questions about plants for an aquarium i am trying to scape, I've narrowed down the species I've been looking at, trouble is i think i chose to many background plants?.. I love the look of Anubias Coffeefolia and The Tiger Lotus. I also want to hide the filter intake tubes with Vallisneria. Any recommendations? I don’t want to crowd the firemouths, swordtails and plecos that i plan on getting while still having a nice looking 75 gallon that is functional after being fully cycled. I figured get the plants sooner so they can start getting established.
Maybe Christmas moss would be cool. You could do pennywort or java ferns

FiremouthGem

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2014
Pennslyvania
working* even. I don't know if it would be garish or a bad idea (sorry ms paint). Key-- Red= Tiger lotus, Long verticle green lines = Vallisneria, and the bushier green is Anubias ( Coffeefolia) or something else that would be better suited.

Inked75aquariumplant draft_LI.jpg

FiremouthGem

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2014
Pennslyvania
could do Red Ludwigia, Rotela in. Anubias barteri, 2 tiger lotuses and two Anubias coffeefiolia then add a strip of Christmas moss over the centerpiece... just spitballing here now... but have the Rotela Indica in the back behind the big pots, coffeefiolia on both sides then 3 Barteri up in the foreground? and then towards the center background have the two lotuses?

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
What light are you using? Some lights may not enough enough light for some plants.

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
Nice, all your plants will work. Maybe get some ferts, like root tabs, to help your plants to grow faster. Maybe add an amazon sword in the background.

FiremouthGem

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2014
Pennslyvania
which fertilizer tabs would you recommend and which liquid fert? or a way to make my own, I was watching a couple of vids, one mixing clay and dirt then baking it in batches, one said something of gel caps and someone said Osmocote ((just be wary of ammonia spikes?))

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store