Plant only filtration (why not popular in the hobby???)

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
I tried the Pythos, but the plants keeping getting pests (a sticky cotton looking mess). I assume this is mites or aphids?? Anyone know a good way to resolve this? I'm leery to spray the plants as surely some of the spray would end up in the tank.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I tried the Pythos, but the plants keeping getting pests (a sticky cotton looking mess). I assume this is mites or aphids?? Anyone know a good way to resolve this? I'm leery to spray the plants as surely some of the spray would end up in the tank.
Maybe take them out for a while and spray, then wash and replace

NW Cichlid Keith

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2016
Atlanta, Georgia
This article has some good information and is written much better than anything I can put together. http://www.farmxchange.org/diy-aquaponics-super-organic-pesticide-methods/
Interesting read - thanks. It sounds like I might be best to pull the plants for a few days and dose the heck out of them, then put them back in. I think trying to spray, as I have been, w/out getting anything in the water helps but doesn't fully eliminate the problem. I did try pulling them out and submersing them for several hours in a bucket of water - in case anyone wonders, that will not kill the bugs :-(

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
Iv used neem oil/rubbing alcohol in warm water with a tid bit of dish soap and never had any negative effects.

It is good practice to completely submerse the new plants in water for 24hours.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
First couple of warm days here in NY and I went to a stream in the woods to get plants (submerged) for my 55. It's been 1.5 weeks, no pests, ( I washed them in a 5 gal bucket with a drop of bleached, then rinsed well and soaked in a bucket with Prime. I am seeing growth especially from my elodia - it doubled in size. 55 gal, 32w t12 6500k, jungle val, Xmas tree moss, some wild grasslike plant, some native that looks like an anubias, some native moss, and of course the elodia, which has already doubled in size. I do weekly water changes of 10 - 30% 0ppm all around. Tank has been up with fish 2 months ph 7.2. No co2. playsand with lava rock substrate, the only filtration is a reverse undergravel filter powered by an empty 350gph canister.The plants I bought before I even put fish in 3+ months ago have done less growing than the wild ones I got less than two weeks ago and cost a lot more. I have a lot of fish. 2 panchax killies 4 angels 5 SAEs 13 Praecox rainbows (all juvies) 10 guppies 3 ghost shrimp, and some MTS to aerate my sand in the spots the filter isn't great. Anyway, once my plants grow big enough and I feel more comfortable with the setup, it'll be no more water changes, just testing to make sure everyones fine.

Reactions: Chub_by

Alexraptor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Sweden
aquatic.alexraptor.com
My Piranha Tank has a nice combo of Monstera Delicosa and Golden Pothos which has in recent months kept the tank free of excess nutrients, no algae, no cyano, the glass is squeaky clean. (And someone's probably gonna complain "that tank's too small!" but he's nearly 15 years old now and has a great outgoing temperament and fantastic colors, definitely no a fish that is suffering.)

PirreSetup2017.jpg

Now I have two Pothos plants there, and the one is kinda interesting as it's thriving in direct unfiltered sunlight.
It actually started out looking very pale and sickly from the exposure, but after about a year something happened. The plant changed and adapted... it became "bigger", I mean really massive. The leaves are huge and the trunk is nearly the size of my thumb at its thickest point!
PothosTrunk.jpg

So yeah, pretty cool and I'm pretty pleased with the outcome. :)
I still use a filter but probably mainly for keeping the water clear of particulate matter.

pimen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2016
So for almost several months growing photos plant hydroponicaly with deep water culture system n grow each pot from a new non roots phase,
I have a conclusion,
I put my photos in my customize sump filter in the back top of my aquarium
I have 2 aquariums , one is close to window and the other one only depends on 1 led 4 watt
the one that close to window and got 7-8 am sunshine is become jungle now
the other one that depends on led 4 watt is growing but very unsignigficant, little leafs and grow so little
so what is the best lighting for photos anyway ?
Some said this plant dont need lighting so much like other plants
BUT a good lighting MADE A BIG DIFFERENCES in terms of 'GROWING'

Should I buy a UVB LAMP FOR REPTILE ? to replicate sunshine ?
or buy a another type of LED ? TF5/8 ? CFL ? Im confused please suggestions....

Reactions: J. H.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Not UVB. LED growlights in blue and red spectrums boost growth well

Reactions: J. H.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Not UVB. LED growlights in blue and red spectrums boost growth well
One of my fathers 'gardening friends' is from Southern California and can't stand the way the frost in NY doesn't let him plant in the winter, so he moved part of his garden into the house (lettuce, beans, herbs, parsley ) and keeps them under generic LED grow lights from Amazon. I wish I had pics. The growth and healthy plants he gets are unbelievable.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store