Plant only filtration (why not popular in the hobby???)

jake37

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2021
There was a paper somewhere - wish i had bookmarked it - that suggest while plants help a little they really don't remove that much nitrate. I think you end up with less nitrate due to substrate forming anaerobic bacteria that convert nitrate to nitrogen than plants. This is my 120 (which has a few plants) but my nitrate stays around 20 even with weekly water changes. I had a 20 long with twice the fish population and 1/10th the plants where the nitrate never rose above 3....

x1.jpg

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
There was a paper somewhere - wish i had bookmarked it - that suggest while plants help a little they really don't remove that much nitrate. I think you end up with less nitrate due to substrate forming anaerobic bacteria that convert nitrate to nitrogen than plants. This is my 120 (which has a few plants) but my nitrate stays around 20 even with weekly water changes. I had a 20 long with twice the fish population and 1/10th the plants where the nitrate never rose above 3....

View attachment 1454356
20 is perfect. It means your tank is in balance. Les than that, and your plants get unhealthy, more than that and your fish do.

djsaltynuts

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2020

View attachment 1454356
i think this is most true of plants submersed. plants emersed have access to “unlimited” co2 helping photosynthesis and improving effeciency. plants like philodendrons use massive amounts of nutrient compared to mangroves which youd need to stack your tank with to get effective plant filtration with.

Reactions: jake37

Chino 61

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2021
My thoughts on this matter would have to be maintenance. I have set up a planted tank and it will still be some time. However, I am already picking through my water for smaller leaves bitten off by the fish. I really don't want the clippings in my filter. So yes once these plants take off the maintenance will be routine. I don't have a green thumb and am not sure yet how much trimming and maintenance I will be doing. But yes, It is a new routine to an already set routine.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
For the last 4 months, our islands de-sal water plant was down for repair.
We flushed toilets with sea water, carried cleaning and drinking water from a small well down the street, and our bath tub, was the Pacific.
During the last two months, the level of the 180 tank dropped so low, the overflows to the sump was un-useable, so no filtration at all, no water changes, and make up water was only available when it rained.
The only water movement came from a small air pump.
View attachment 1389666
No fish were lost (tank contained 12 four to five inch cichlids, 2 similar size tetras, a Pleco, a few shrimp, and a 6-8" Eleotris goby).
I attribute the lack of deaths to heavy planting, and low stocking level, compared to tank size.
I fed very sparsely, maybe once every 3 days, to reduce nutrient load. Lots of leaves fell in the tank, and tannins were high, turning the water tea color brown
The water came back on last week, sump is now working, and I'm back to doing daily small water changes.
View attachment 1389667
If that's the case, why bother with filtration and water changes? I have my sister's 55g Guppy-danio-Molly-Otto tank set up with just an airpump, plants and LED. It's been going like that for two years, with waterchanges about 20% once a month, and it has gone from 1m 3f mollies, and 2m 5f guppies to a cloud in that time, and everyone seems healthy. We haven't lost any fish, and everyone is breeding (except the Ottos). In the wild, that's about all they'd get anyway.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
My 110 liter hasn't had a water replacement in 3 weeks, but the NO3 is undetectable. Thanks to the hornwort, duckweed, and pothos.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
If that's the case, why bother with filtration and water changes? I have my sister's 55g Guppy-danio-Molly-Otto tank set up with just an airpump, plants and LED. It's been going like that for two years, with waterchanges about 20% once a month, and it has gone from 1m 3f mollies, and 2m 5f guppies to a cloud in that time, and everyone seems healthy. We haven't lost any fish, and everyone is breeding (except the Ottos). In the wild, that's about all they'd get anyway.
I have not bothered with water changes, or filtration (just a powerhead), because there hasn't been any (water that is) except for an occasional rain shower collected to make up for evaporation.
The heavy planting has so far kept nitrate from rising, along with feeding only once every 3 days.
C022159C-FFD9-411A-A7A8-204936B03AA3_1_201_a.jpeg

CrazyPhishMan

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2017
Massachusetts
I have not bothered with water changes, or filtration (just a powerhead), because there hasn't been any (water that is) except for an occasional rain shower collected to make up for evaporation.
The heavy planting has so far kept nitrate from rising, along with feeding only once every 3 days.
View attachment 1489633
Do you plant dumbcane into your tanks? i think the thick trunk/stem would add a great look if it doesn't deteriorate over time.
I usually just use pothos and peace lillys but i have so many Philodendron at home i could use cuttings from those as well as my spider plant

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store