plant recommendations

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
They get along fine in my tank. Unless one grows too large too fast they shouldn’t outcompete each other for light, and both are low light anyway.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I already have rhizome plants (java fern). would Anubias compete against them or are they harmonious with eachother?
Tbh I not sure but I struggle to keep Java Fern alive. Purchased a couple of small Java Fern a couple of weeks ago. They are in another aquarium and adding Flourish every wc have noticed a new leaf sprouting.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Tbh I not sure but I struggle to keep Java Fern alive. Purchased a couple of small Java Fern a couple of weeks ago. They are in another aquarium and adding Flourish every wc have noticed a new leaf sprouting.
Strange, my ferns are the only thing I am confident in.
I actually killed to anubias by rhizome rot. I think it was related to the driftwood I had them on, as the ones not attached to it were fine.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Strange, my ferns are the only thing I am confident in.
I actually killed to anubias by rhizome rot. I think it was related to the driftwood I had them on, as the ones not attached to it were fine.
I have Anubias tied to stones and their growing ok but started adding Seachem Flourish to see will it benefit them. Also battling BBA. On my day off may pull up the Amazon Swords and dip them and the Anubias in Hydrogen Peroxide part water for about 3 minute's.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I have Anubias tied to stones and their growing ok but started adding Seachem Flourish to see will it benefit them. Also battling BBA. On my day off may pull up the Amazon Swords and dip them and the Anubias in Hydrogen Peroxide part water for about 3 minute's.
Cyano is my problem (or at least it looks like cyano, but black). You are lucky lol.
I may pick up some chemiclean...

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
I have had limited success recently with Java fern. I think it has to do with tissue culture vs. traditional propagation. My planted 29g is going great guns and except for the java fern that has been in the tank for nearly 3 years.

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
You don't feed the Amazon Swords root tabs?
I do not use root tabs or any other fertilizer for our Java fern but we do have dirt under our sand / gravel in our tanks. I purchased 1 java fern about 4 years ago and now we have Java Fern in 3 seperate tanks and we sell the babies back to the LFS. But we do have dirt bottoms topped with sand or gravel in all of our tanks.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
I find plants to be a total crap shoot. I've tried all sorts, and failed with many. Eventually once you've tried every type at the store, lol, you will get lucky and you'll find some that will do well in "your conditions". I got lucky with jungle val and cryptocorene crispulata. These two don't just do well in my low tech tank, they absolutely thrive.

It would be easy for me to recommend these two to you but "your conditions" might not be optimum for them to thrive, and you may have bad luck with them. So recommendations are all very well, and you've had a few already in this thread, but at the end of the day it's a case of discovering for yourself, through trial and error, what will work for you.

Like I said, plants are a total crap shoot.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store