plants for a tank with high ph

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
The issue is tropheus and other lake tang cichlids need ph of 8.5 or higher. Not many plants can tolerate that, and lowering the ph will only hurt the fish long term.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’m pretty sure valisnaria has lake tang species. Otherwise anubias and java fern are a good way to go.
What about bamboo?

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Maybe add some natural driftwood to lower the ph and give you a wider selection of plants
He is setting up a Lake Tang aquarium. A lower ph is not an option for these fish.

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
In my opinion all you need is anubias. Many species, hardy, and looks nice after they grown in.

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
the plant would go into a tropjeus tank.
So you purposely adjust the pH to be higher than tap water? I get that if they're wild caught or you're after a breeding project, etc. Other than that, if they're captive bread, they're accustomed to what ever pH the tap water is.

Anyway.. I agree with the above. Tough rhizome (non-rooting) plants like anubia and java fern would be good. They must taste terrible too because even veggie loving critters tend to leave them alone.

Reactions: KATALEKEEPER

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
So you purposely adjust the pH to be higher than tap water? I get that if they're wild caught or you're after a breeding project, etc. Other than that, if they're captive bread, they're accustomed to what ever pH the tap water is.

Anyway.. I agree with the above. Tough rhizome (non-rooting) plants like anubia and java fern would be good. They must taste terrible too because even veggie loving critters tend to leave them alone.
My SDs love the taste ?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Another one of my favorite plants that easily handle high pH, and especially for primarily vegetarian cichlids (such as Tropheus) is Papyrus (sometimes sold in garden centers), as Umbrella palm.
Not truly an aquatic,r but bog plant, the umbrella must be able to emerge from the waters surface, so an open top tank is required .
FE30D0EB-F32C-4764-A115-3578DF9F6F38_1_201_a.jpeg
They produce a large root clump, where the arrow like sprouts start underwater .
0E29240E-AFEF-413A-ACAE-A99DD1BA82FE_1_201_a.jpeg
The one above, is about 4 ft tall.
Another benefit is they suck nitrate like a Hoover.
The only cichlids I found that would eat them (they are like paper or cardboard) are the truly vegetarian spieces Cincellichthys pearsei and bocourti.
Beside directly in tanks, I put them in sumps, and the edge of ponds.
6A7183D6-0B42-4B52-B0B4-84C4AA285A52_1_201_a.jpeg
Below in a my pond in Wisconsin, where it needed to brought in for the winter.
1607706788290.png

Last edited:

Magnus_Bane

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2020
Canton SD
Another one of my favorite plants that easily handle high pH, and especially for primarily vegetarian cichlids (such as Tropheus) is Papyrus (sometimes sold in garden centers), as Umbrella palm.
Not truly an aquatic,r but bog plant, the umbrella must be able to emerge from the waters surface, so an open top tank is required .
View attachment 1442906
They produce a large root clump, where the arrow like sprouts start underwater .
View attachment 1442907
The one above, is about 4 ft tall.
Another benefit is they suck nitrate like a Hoover.
The only cichlids I found that would eat them (they are like paper or cardboard) are the truly vegetarian spieces Cincellichthys pearsei and bocourti.
Beside directly in tanks, I put them in sumps, and the edge of ponds.
View attachment 1442908
Below in a my pond in Wisconsin, where it needed to brought in for the winter.
View attachment 1442911
Wouldn't hornwort be another good plant to use since it grows and self replicates so fast, that and since it doesn't need to be in substrate to grow either?

Also that is a beautiful pond ya got there. Love the lush unkempt plant life. Really brings in a sense of the wilderness right into your own backyard. Can't wait till it's warm enough for me to start working on my pond.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store