Platinum blood parrot

Ozzie73

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2019
Could be anyone's guess. Parrots can get pretty big and seen a few cons gain some size too. If all the stars align, I'd guess a nice 8" fish give or take a little. Shooting from the hip here...hahaha

Reactions: Skyeboy

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Nice fish but just looks like an older male white convict to me
I think you may be right. My old white male con was probably only 4" at best, and he looked almost identical to the OP's fish. Pink/white cons, along with the vast majority of cons found at ones LFS are domestic crosses, not pure strains, so adult size shape etc can vary quite a bit in different batches of offspring.

Reactions: Siddons11

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
... other aquarium strain convicts. Geographical variants from various collection points, bred over many years back & forth & back again. Inbred to the 'enth degree. Some could even be crosses within the same genus, Amatitlania.

No different than what took places several decades ago between "red devils" and "midas" cichlids. At the time those collecting and exporting/importing (back in the 1960's) believed that they were the same species of cichlid, only to find out much later that they are not. This is why aquarium strains can now vary so much.

A buddy of mine in town used to comment about how my white "convict" didn't look like a wild type convict, and he was right, it looked very similar to yours. What it's actual genetics were is anyones guess, but my guess is that he was simply a cross between different aquarium strains.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store