Platinum Jack Dempsey attempt

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
Also, the furthest testing anyone has done would be Rapps Mitochondrial DNA test. Does that give us all the answers we are looking for? Of course not. But it's the only testing anyone has done. Period. If it were truly a hybrid, how in the world has it been kept a secret for over 30 years? People have been breeding EBJD for years and years, and only ever used JD's - myself included. If it were a hybrid, the cat would have been let out of the bag by now - so to speak. If it were truly a hybrid, someone would have slipped and provided further info on the other fish included in the breeding process. Not to mention, if it was a hybrid, I doubt one spawn would have been enough to get the blue gene out there in the hobby - it more than likely would have required numerous spawns. Numerous spawns that absolutely nobody was aware of? I just don't see that being plausible. So again, how has the secret been kept for so long and absolutely no one knows? Not stating Auqatic Aggression is incorrect, just stating that all the evidence seems to point more towards genetic mutation than hybrid.

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
Update: Have weaned to frozen brine shrimp now. When I'm raising EBJD's, this is the stage at which I separate the EBs from the BGs. In this attempt to raise Platinums, I can't tell a difference between a Platinum and a non-platinum. I certainly don't see a difference in any of these.

I am a bit worried that these are going to all turn out phenotypically normal.

DetroitFh

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2016
Wow this is incredible. Hopefully you get some platinums. I currently have two gold jack dempsey batch atm. I really want to give the platinum a go to.

Reactions: YankeeJack

Mikhail Kalashnikov

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2016
Iowa
Although many believe the EBJD to be a hybrid of Rocio Octofasciata and another fish (some say EB Acara... but then where did the EB Acara come from?) Either way, Jeff Rapps sent mitochondrial DNA of EBJD and wild caught JD to a lab to be tested, and both DNA confirmed that EBJD are indeed 100% Rocio Octofasciata. Why we don't see them in the wild? probably because, as stated above, they are genetically weak and grow at a much slower rate than normal JD's. So they probably ended up as food for the other, stronger fry

...as far as Golds, platinums, and "pinks" - I have no idea what the deal is with them but can only imagine, from this thread, that they too are 100% JD

YankeeJack YankeeJack , you've done an amazing job with these spawns. I bred EBJD for a little while two winters ago but only had two batches. I can't wait to see how these turn out :D

Somebody doesn't understand how inheritance works. Mitochondrial DNA does NOT prove an ancestor or not. It can only prove a line of decent on the maternal side.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Update: Have weaned to frozen brine shrimp now. When I'm raising EBJD's, this is the stage at which I separate the EBs from the BGs. In this attempt to raise Platinums, I can't tell a difference between a Platinum and a non-platinum. I certainly don't see a difference in any of these.
Looks like your gonna have to breed the offsprings my to the platinum.

I am a bit worried that these are going to all turn out phenotypically normal.

Aquatic Aggression

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2011
Somebody doesn't understand how inheritance works. Mitochondrial DNA does NOT prove an ancestor or not. It can only prove a line of decent on the maternal side.
It's hard explaining these things to people who honestly believe that ebjd came about "naturally" with their fairy tale story of this one guy, all the way in Argentina (no wild jd), who's friend gave him two magical jack Dempsey that just happened to be the only ones in the world that carried "blue genes"! Wow what luck!
Take a good look at some of the ebjd that rapps imported from Argentina early on. Taller bodied than jd, longer fins, rounder heads. Now look what all the back crossing to female jd has done to the form of ebjd. Yuck...
When you have had full body pearl mutation pop up in f1 hybrids you will think twice. It's ultra funny to me the denial from people on this subject. "Blue genes" were not distributed throughout the hobby from just 1 pair of fish. Ebjd were distributed to the hobby, for financial gain. There are eye witness accounts of this guy's breeding operation and it has been claimed he had various pairs of fish breeding. Either way these are not jack Dempsey they are man made fish. You are distributing polluted stock to people who may believe they are getting actual jds. And these "platinum" are a double cross of two insanely inbred strains of fish and the result isn't healthy or good looking (in my opinion). Give me a 2006 import ebjd any day.

YankeeJack

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2013
USA
Update: I'm afraid that all of these are phenotypically looking normal. Growing up fast! Since these are from a Gold crossed with a Blue, then the genetics must not be straightforward dominant/recessive Mendelian genetics.

I'll have to consider raising one of these and crossing with either a Blue or a BG.

Reactions: DetroitFh

903Herp

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2014
North east texas
I would suggest raising a couple up and breeding them. Not sure of dominant/reccessive genes of the gold and blue gene or ebjd. However it is very likely that one will not possess both genes.

Reactions: YankeeJack
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store