Platydoras armatulus- Raphael cat

Matteus Matteus do you have any experience with raphael cats? I never see mine eat. I've heard that stripeds especially like snails, shell and all, but I've never seen em do that. Then again, they only eat at night so maybe they do, idk. Another thing you could do is turn all things that would cause water movement off (filters, aerators, etc.), drop food in, and turn off the lights. After about an hour turn water movement back on. Do this at increasingly early times, then turn off water movement and feed in the daytime. You should be able to see them eat. I'm in the process of doing that, but I have several friends who showed me how this works. You drop anything in, the cat will shoot out from its hiding spot and investigate.

Any other bottom feeders?

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Ok so I may have done a bad thing... sort of....

I took all of these guys to a friends house to live. I am clearing out some of my stock so I can have room for a ray. They went to a good home to live in a 180 bow front with some of my other fish as well.

Reactions: celebrist
Ok so I may have done a bad thing... sort of....

I took all of these guys to a friends house to live. I am clearing out some of my stock so I can have room for a ray. They went to a good home to live in a 180 bow front with some of my other fish as well.
why is that a bad thing?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Reactions: Matteus
Giving up fish you’ve had a while maybe the reason. Especially done on a whim!
Matteus Matteus why did you give them away? sounded like you had a nice setup for them...

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Thank you kno4te kno4te , that was basically why I would say it was a bad thing. I really liked them but I won’t be able to keep them if I am getting a ray. Although they are peaceful and most likely wouldn’t hurt the ray, I don’t want to take any chances. I have dreamed about breeding rays since I was a kid and have always felt like it was an impossible thing because they are sensitive and expensive etc. But it seems as if I am at a stage in my life where I am doing all sorts of things that I thought were impossible as a child. With that being said, I need to dream bigger since my dreams seem to be coming true.

Also EntoStentor EntoStentor i seemed to have missed your previous post somehow. Sorry about that wasn’t trying to ignore you and your previous questions.

Interesting tips you gave about turning off all water movement to feed. Haven’t heard of that one before. May need to try it out some day.

I had the smaller 3 in a 5g quarantine tank that had all sorts of snails in there and they didn’t even bother with them. I think they were just cranky being in a small tank. Then when I put them in the bigger tank they were always hiding and often didn’t come out even when the night light would come on. Donatello the original was the only one that came out regularly. And it was very responsive to food. As soon as I opened the food container it was out. Didn’t ev n have the lid of the tank open and it would do its rounds lol. I was hoping the other 3 would pick up this behaviour from it but I guess I didn’t have them long enough for that to happen. I would definitely keep these guys again and really regret getting rid of them but I feel as if the ray will be a long term resident for me even after I move next winter. I am already making arrangements for shipping and saving to make sure I can set up another tank in the new location beforehand.

Sorry for the novel but thank you all for the interest in my fish. I have started a thread about the incoming rays in that section if you care to see them some day.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I just visited these guys today when I dropped off my ornate poly to my friend. They are doing great. They all have their established hiding spots and aren’t fighting with anyone else. Also a bonus my friend has made me an offer to take care of his tank as well so I will be able to see them on a fairly regular basis.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store