play sand

Cichlaholics Anonymous

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 23, 2006
Miami, Florida
I used play sand in all of my shelldweller tanks when I used to breed them, and it looked good and wasn't impossible to clean, although I normally prefer gravel or barebottom tanks

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
I used playsand in this setup:

I like it, just had to be careful when using the jet nozzle on the xp3's because it would blow 'bald' spots in the sand bed. Adjusting the angle takes care of that and keeps the surface clean.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
couple of mine if this help.

0531081629.jpg

DSCF1295.JPG

0531081628.jpg

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
play sand yes...pool filter sand...much easier to clean.

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
I found it easy to clean. The hard part was configuring the flow of the cannisters in conjunction with the HOB filters and powerheads, to keep the surface clean.

Moontanman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2008
Cape Fear, NC
blogs.scienceforums.net
This may sound nuts but when I use play sand I don't clean it. (mainly because I was lazy at first) but I found that in a few days to a week or two it clears up by it's self and stays that way. Admittedly I use a sedimentation type sump as a filter but the water seems to eventually clump all the mud particles into larger clumps that settle out of suspension. I figured this out when I used to keep marine fish and found that oolitic sand is going to make cloudy water no matter how many times you rinse it so i used it cloudy and it settled out pretty quickly

BushFishRox

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Mississauga, Ont Canada
I use King's play sand which is just washed beach sand...

Moontanman;1912396; said:
This may sound nuts but when I use play sand I don't clean it. (mainly because I was lazy at first) but I found that in a few days to a week or two it clears up by it's self and stays that way. Admittedly I use a sedimentation type sump as a filter but the water seems to eventually clump all the mud particles into larger clumps that settle out of suspension. I figured this out when I used to keep marine fish and found that oolitic sand is going to make cloudy water no matter how many times you rinse it so i used it cloudy and it settled out pretty quickly
you do know that isnt good for your filters impellers...

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
Angler;1909648; said:
Here is a pic of Playsand:

I like my 3M Colorquartz a lot more than I liked Playsand. Playsand is pretty light and can easily jack up a powerfilter.
that's why I went with the pool filter sand. its a not as fine than the play sand and settles quicker. play sand is very fine and white; better looking but higher maintenance.

dzb912

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2007
illinois
i setup a 10 gallon today and added some play sand
it hasnt settled and its been about an hour
im sure it wull settle soon
the waters alllll yellow
but the sand is kinda brownish lookin
looks nothin like any of yours
idk how this is gona turn out but thanks guys