Please help me ID

andersp90

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Denmark
Mantillas are still just a potamotrygon sp. Ive got a friend who had a pair of wc sp. Mantilla from wich he got pups. Some pups did look like the parents and some looked like regular motoros.
Like I said, the rays in the toprow is a new species. They have named it P. marquesi. They found females mature at just 22-25 cm!

The "mantilla" type can be found in most of SA. Some or likely to be natrual hybrids, while others, like the above mentioned rays, are seperate species.

Its very possible that your friends WC pair, were actually just CB hybrids.

Last edited:

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
Like I said, the rays in the toprow is a new species. They have named it P. marquesi. They found females mature at just 22-25 cm!

The "mantilla" type can be found in most of SA. Some or likely to be natrual hybrids, while others, like the above mentioned rays, are seperate species.

Its very possible that your friends WC pair, were actually just CB hybrids.

Ive read this article and it is really interesting.

The wc pair came from a import from venezuela that some friends did do. So dont think it is cb rays. But you cant be sure that it is actually wc anyways.

And i know mantilla has been debated many times and im thinking it is an natural occuring hybrid. Thats why they are called sp. Mantilla and has not gotten any scientific name yet.

And this new species described looks like what at least is known as mantilla in my eyes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store