PLease Think B4 BUYING

Cholly

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2009
Metro Atlanta
Hsi Wang Hu;1885818; said:
I have been wondering the same thing. Why some of these hard to breed in captivity or never before bred in captivity are not attempted more or at least the information on the attempts made public?
In many, if not most cases, greed. If only you know the secret, you can get more money for the fish you breed.
Unfortunate, but part of man's nature.

abortedsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
MD, USA
Silver Crescent;2655535; said:
I agree with the argument numero dos. Sure, I love the environment, I love animals, heck, I'm a vegetarian of FIVE years, but I'm still going to keep my tank full of fish, I'm still going to train my horses, buy parrots...You know why? Because it's something I enjoy, something that makes me happy, and I know my animals are well cared for, and HAPPY, most importantly. And in the end, that's what matters to me. If the animal is going to go exctinct, we might as well catch them, and set up a captive breeding program devoted to them, and slowly attempt to release them back into the wild. This earth won't last forever, it's going to deteriorate no matter what we do, so we might as well do our best to help these animals out, because being poached in the wild, eaten, and just dying out is not getting them anywhere. PETA can bite me, on most topics, though I will agree that I hate inhumane treatment towards animals, the way they are slaughtered, fur coats too.... I mean, I understand fur if you're in some third world country and killed it yourself, but dang, these rabbits, foxes, and other beautiful animals died for the sake of FASHION? GIVE ME A BREAK. I'll keep them as my pets, but never as my coats, thank you very much :)
I hold a position that is similar in many regards. I think the earth could last very, very long indeed- if we only gained the required knowledge to care for it.

uncwnells

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2008
Wilmington, NC
Very good pint

NarnyTheGreat

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
Pearland Tx
I know this is an old thread but I wanted to add something here. The reason that one fish lays 6000 eggs (Marroon Clowns) is because not all of them will hatch, then not all of them will make it past the juvenile stage, then into adult hood and on to breed. This will happen and has happened long before people ever thought about putting a fish in a bowl. Bob Fenner states that 90% of all fish will die in the ocean or lakes or what have you in the first year because of then many problems/challenges they face in the wild.

Now, all that having been said, I'm not about treating animals badly nor am I willing to support someone treating animals in any way other then the best was possible. I keep the fish I have because I LOVE them and I do the very best for them. People who dye there anemones or over crowd the tanks lose my business if they ever had it.

The one problem most of us have is we trust who we get our fish from, and you cant always know who they get them from. Just do the best you can, and if there is a choice to be made... ALWAYS go with tank breed. They are hardier, and most likely havent been mistreated. Plus though all losses are sad, at least they didnt come from the reef/lakes and the like.

thefishguy89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2010
Durham NC
i totally agree i think only live breed fish is the way to go i mean all fish can be live bread if you put your mind to it and for these people to go out and catch them wild just doesnt make sense unless it was to breed them so no more has to be taking out plus it would make them more money in then long haul cause they would receive more of that type of fish off breeding then they would out of the wild

Damali

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I agree with the person who said that if he has the opportunity to care for a rare or almost exstinct breed of fish. I think we should. Mathmatically speaking, the fish has a much better chance of survival in a clean sterile environment with me than the wild. I love my fish like they are a part of my family. I call them all my girls and I genuinely care about them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store