Pleco Dietary Thread

kingqeemon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2017
NYC
yes do you have driftwood in the tank? also try giving him cucumber
Yes I have plenty of driftwood. Yesterday night I put in zucchini and it was first time in awhile since I’ve seen him on it. Guess he’s really hungry. Hope that’s a good sign that he’s eating.

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
My royal pleco stomach starting to sink in a bit. Should I start to worry?
If it doesn't gain weight and fails to thrive even with good feedings then you may consider deworming it. Plecos, especially wild caught, tend to pick up a lot of internal parasites by the very nature of them sucking food off the ground and possibly ingesting parasite eggs or cysts often found in fish feces and gravel.

kingqeemon

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2017
NYC
If it doesn't gain weight and fails to thrive even with good feedings then you may consider deworming it. Plecos, especially wild caught, tend to pick up a lot of internal parasites by the very nature of them sucking food off the ground and possibly ingesting parasite eggs or cysts often found in fish feces and gravel.
What do you recommend to use for deworming?

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Start with something gentle like praziquantel or praziquantel plus metrondazinole. If it's severe, you'll have to use something stronger like levamisole. They work best when ingested so try soaking your food in them first. However, my fish have never taken to medicated food. I imagine something gluttonous like an oscar might but not my plecos.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store