Pleco ID and Breathing Issues?

Nick2Sick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2015
Hey all, this is my first post to MFK, my roommate referred me here, if I'm breaking any forum rules by posting in here I apologize and please direct me to the right section.

I've got a 55 gallon tank, my first one, with a few black skirt tetras, a lungfish, black ghost knife fish, and a pleco.

I wanted some help identifying the pleco, and seeing if his breathing behavior is odd or not. I'm not sure if he is breathing fast, or just sucking quickly, and he will sometimes shoot up to the top of the tank, and then back down.

I read somewhere else this can be normal behavior for some plecos, and otherwise it means they need oxygen or high ammonia levels. I have three air tube with air stones running on high, and I texted nitrates,nitrites, and ammonia and they were all almost none.

I recently lost three clown loaches and two mollies to what I can only assume was ich about two weeks ago. Since then I do 20%-50% water changes every other day. I also raised the temperature and used some bacterial medicine, using half doses not to hurt the scale less fish.

Please let me know if this is normal behavior, and I've attached the best pictures I can get with my phone for identification.

Thanks everyone!

20150914_235756.jpg 20150915_000712.jpg 20150915_000835.jpg 20150915_000912.jpg 20150915_000926.jpg

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I'm assuming from reading the above that you didn't cycle the tank? Only because you mentioned your tested levels being almost none, in a healthy tank your readings should be:

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate: 5-40ppm (arguably)

Basically meaning established bacteria break down the toxic ammonia and nitrite into nitrate, which is then removed via waterchange.

If that's the case just now, the tank will still be getting established; ammonia and nitrite may have stressed your other fish causing the diseases that you are treating.

Ordinarily I'd have recommended adding some filter aid such as seachem stability, but I'm unsure as to how that would go down alongside the existing medication you added.

Hopefully a more experienced member can weigh in on this, if not keep up with the frequent water changes, keep testing your levels and don't overfeed.

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
It's just a common pleco. Most likely a Pterygoplichthys pardalis . I say this because there is another 'common' pleco that looks nearly the same (Pterygoplichthys disjunctivus).

In my opinion, I'd recommend a hob(hang on back) or a canister filter... air stones don't do much

mattyice572

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2015
New Jersey
Its a common pleco, keep the substrate clean to keep it healthy. Variation in diet is also something to keep in mind. Sliced zuchinni, carrot shavings, and standard algae wafers. Drift wood in the tank may also be helpful

Cueball703

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2013
NY
... the pleco, and seeing if his breathing behavior is odd or not. I'm not sure if he is breathing fast, or just sucking quickly, and he will sometimes shoot up to the top of the tank, and then back down.

I read somewhere else this can be normal behavior for some plecos, and otherwise it means they need oxygen or high ammonia levels. I have three air tube with air stones running on high, and I tested nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia and they were all almost none.

I recently lost three clown loaches and two mollies to what I can only assume was ich about two weeks ago. Since then I do 20%-50% water changes every other day. I also raised the temperature and used some bacterial medicine, using half doses not to hurt the scale less fish.

Please let me know if this is normal behavior, and I've attached the best pictures I can get with my phone for identification.
Question... What kind of Filter are you using for the tank? How long have you had the tank (with fish in it)?

You mentioned the use of Air Stones. That is good to help keep the tank oxygenated. As for your water testing, The Ammonia levels should be ZERO, and the Nitrites should be ZERO or near zero. Both the Ammonia Levels and the Nitrite levels can kill your fish (not just the Plecos). I have had my fish tank for about 2 1/2 years now (72 gallon tank with a whole mix of tropical fresh-water fish (including 5 Plecos)), and my fish seem to be thriving very nicely. My PH is about 7.0, and my Ammonia and Nitrites are at zero. My Nitrates are somewhere in the middle levels (I'm not sure of the numbers, but it's in the mid-range according to my water test kit), and I do water-changes once every 2 weeks (about a 60% water-change). You didn't mention anything about the PH measurements. The PH should be in the 7.0 range. I would get one of those 5-in-1 test kits for checking the Hardness of the water along with the Nitrites, nitrates, and PH. Along with that, you can get a separate kit for just testing the Ammonia levels. As for the water temperature, you should have it at about 80 to 84 degrees.

The Pleco is (what most refer to as) a BOTTOM DWELLER. They don't really swim around much, and stay at the bottom of the tank. It is normal for a Pleco to occasionally do a quick swim to the surface and grab some real air, but if it is doing that frequently, then there is something wrong. Are your other fish swimming about normally, or are they staying near the very top/surface of your tank? If they are staying near the very surface, then they are struggling to breathe because your water may be toxic to them.

Another thing is feeding. If you overfeed your fish, the Nitrites can rise. Aside from that, the Pleco is known for pooping alot. That can cause an increase in your Ammonia levels. I usually feed my fish every other day.

Last edited:

MoNsTeR FiS

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 5, 2014
USA
I would lower the temperature to 73 degrees farenhight to cause the fishes systems to slow down so they make less amonia and put a canester filter on and do lots of waterchanges so the tank cycles. Then after 2 weeks raise the temperature to 78 and the fish should become more active. All your fish would be fine with cold water accept I don't know about the tetras and the lungfish will eat them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store