Pls help!!! Cracked my 210 gallon glass tank ='[

surfer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2010
Torrance/Carson (South Bay), CA
I finally moved my tank from the garage into the living room. I thought the move went pretty smoothly but once it was inside the house I noticed a crack on the back on the tank. My heart instantly sank. The crack is on the right corner of the rear of the tank. It starts at the middle and extends about 12 inches before curving down. I just recently purchased this tank from an MFK user and paid $375 for the tank, stand, and light. I went to home depot and put copious amounts of silicone on the crack, put another layer of silicone, sandwiched two pieces of glass between the crack, and placed one more layer of silicone. It looks like **** but I hope it holds. I'm gonna wait a few days to let it cure before testing. I would like to get a new tank but I have no other choice. I'm broke and I have a large bass in a temporary tank that is too small waiting for this tank. Any thoughts??

MPG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Canada
Without replacing the glass I would shelve the tank or else you have a 210g bomb waiting to go off in your house.

I suggest waiting to have enough cash to replace the glass.

Tekken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 25, 2008
USA
Agreed. I used to have a 210 gallon salt water tank and the center brace glass fell down into the tank one day (surprisingly the tank was OK at that moment) and things started to go down hill from there even after I spent tons of time and money patching up the tank. It was an Oceanic tank! However, leaks started to happen on the bottom and eventually a crack. Of course you can still try it; even if the crack itself is fixed, something else might go wrong I am afraid.... I wish I had a better experience to share.

surfer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2010
I need to try this. I really don't have a choice. If I can at least get a few months out of this hopefully I'll have enough money saved. I, like many others, have also fallen victim to this bad economy. I really love my fish and need to make this work. Maybe I'll only fill it half way to help alleviate pressure from the water.

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
trying to repair cracked glass is probably not a good idea. why you ask? Well glass tanks are designed using a formula calculating glass thickness versus water height. Basically, the deeper the water the more pressure pushing outwards on the glass walls. A crack in the longest running wall, either the front or back has catastrophic consequeses (ie livingroom pool). Even repairing the crack by sandwiching it between two other panes of glass will not prevent it from flexing outward when filled. Glass tanks flex ever so slightly.. any flex on a cracked tank and you end up with wet floors.

Rivermud

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2007
Idaho
possibly.. basically you want to prevent flex.. if you build a "box" structure you may be able to retain the broken piece.. it still may fail.. personally I would salvage the rest of the pieces and build a diy wood tank with one of the many proven methods found here.

imusuallyuseless

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
San Antonio
Had 75g w crack in bottom corner of side panel. Cut 3/4 ply wood to fit inside. Waterproofed it and siliconed it in place. Not a drop spilled. Think lasted at least a year. Risky, but if you're desperate...

surfer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 21, 2010
Ok well today I decided to test out the patch. I filled it up 3/4 and I noticed that water was seeping into the patch. Half and hour later I noticed a little bit of water accumulating on the base of the outside of the tank. So I basically wasted 3 tubes of silicone and a sheet of glass. I'm about ready to wave the white flag on this tank. Can anyone refer me to someone in the LA/Long Beach Area that can repair this FAIL of a tank.

iwiied

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
denver,co
if the crack is high enough up from the bottom, you might be able to get by by filling water just below the crack , then use either sponge filter or canister to keep the tank running and fish alive until you can buy a new tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store