pls ID, Is it Atabapo???

terrors r us

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
Edmonton,Canada
Atabapo 1 lacks the distinct teardrop marking under the eyes of the fish. That is a very clear sign that this fish is not an atabapo 1
I agree.....still think some type of Cr.sp. Lugubris species...
Check this site.....many pike photos and names.....
www.amazon-import.de/Gallerie/Cichliden

or just google "Cichliden" and scroll down a few.....

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
would like to here your comments...

Scatocephalus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2004
Rio Negro
Atabapo 1 lacks the distinct teardrop marking under the eyes of the fish. That is a very clear sign that this fish is not an atabapo 1
Really?

At varying ages and sizes they do exhibit the sub-orbital markings. As they mature and color up this will disapear just as the facial spots do.

clgkag

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2008
missouri
The fish Scat post are all atabapo I and they have the suborbital markings. He is saying that they will get them also but they will fade. atabapo II keep them for life. Scat knows his stuff.

Scatocephalus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2004
Rio Negro
I'm saying that atabapo 2 will keep those markings for life and I disagree that all the fishes he posted are atabapo 1s. Colour itself already shows a big difference

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
You said that Cr. sp. lugubris "Atabapo I" never shows suborbital markings. I posted pics showing that they absolutely do. I'm at a loss what you are still arguing about.

Torphaine

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2011
Singapore
those showing the marks are not "atabapo I". colour is different, markings are different, tone is different. just compare those you posted with mine. one of them in your photos look exactly like this, red with no marks.

Scatocephalus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2004
Rio Negro
those showing the marks are not "atabapo I". colour is different, markings are different, tone is different. just compare those you posted with mine. one of them in your photos look exactly like this, red with no marks.

The first pic I posted shows several fish, all of the same specie, in varying stages of color and maturtity. Yes, these are all the same type of fish...

You'll notice the largest, reddest fish shows less of a suborbital stripe than the smaller, less colorful fish. They change color and pattern depending on age, mood and diet. Young "Atabapo I" do indeed exhibit a suborbital stripe. They change as they mature just as many other pike species do.

Here's a young lenticulata

Here's the same fish as an adult

Yours is a mature, fully colored male Cr. sp. lugubris "Atabapo I". A gorgeous one at that. That said, if your fish were to stress it would lose its bright red color, exhibit a horizontal mid-line stripe and likely show a suborbital mark.

Torphaine

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2011
Singapore
The first pic I posted shows several fish, all of the same specie, in varying stages of color and maturtity. Yes, these are all the same type of fish...

You'll notice the largest, reddest fish shows less of a suborbital stripe than the smaller, less colorful fish. They change color and pattern depending on age, mood and diet. Young "Atabapo I" do indeed exhibit a suborbital stripe. They change as they mature just as many other pike species do.

Here's a young lenticulata

Here's the same fish as an adult

Yours is a mature, fully colored male Cr. sp. lugubris "Atabapo I". A gorgeous one at that. That said, if your fish were to stress it would lose its bright red color, exhibit a horizontal mid-line stripe and likely show a suborbital mark.
Nope, when my fish is stressed, he shows a pink belly. Have never seen a horizontal mid-line on him or sub orbital marks ever. Had him since he's 9 inches, now he's 12. your atabapo I (the largest) has a clean face. She also clearly shows a white line on her dorsal fin. Female atabapo IIs shows black blotches or spots.

This is the blackest he will get, never a mid line, just black blotches with a pink belly. Pic taken when there is a very sudden change of lighting condition.

Scatocephalus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2004
Rio Negro
Your atabapo I (the largest) has a clean face. She also clearly shows a white line on her dorsal fin. Female atabapo IIs shows black blotches or spots.
No argument with anything you've said here.

This is the blackest he will get, never a mid line, just black blotches with a pink belly. Pic taken when there is a very sudden change of lighting condition.
I wouldn't consider a sudden change of lighting condition as terribly stressful. Tearing the tank apart and catching him and moving him to a different tank, these are stressful and would alter his coloration much more.

So you got him when he was 9"? That's relatively mature. He likely would have outgrown a majority of his juvenile markings and coloration by that point in time. That said, you can still see a hint of his horizontal mid-line even at his best.

All aside, there is still no way that terrors r us' fish is Cr. sp. "Atabapo II". Of that I am 100% positive.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store