Plywood overhead sump/canopy

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Thought I'd share the latest development of mine, a proprietary filter for my 135. Ive had this idea bouncing around in my head for some time now.
20190217_105701.jpg 20190217_105630.jpg
Water will be pumped up from the tank into the rear channel which will house a heater and prefilter, make its way down the two side channels which will contain bio media as well as pothos, ferns, etc; then cascade back into the tank. Thats the idea anyway. Whether or not it will work is yet to be seen.

Of course i still have to waterproof the inside and stain the outside. As always any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thought I'd share the latest development of mine, a proprietary filter for my 135. Ive had this idea bouncing around in my head for some time now.
View attachment 1360973 View attachment 1360974
Water will be pumped up from the tank into the rear channel which will house a heater and prefilter, make its way down the two side channels which will contain bio media as well as pothos, ferns, etc; then cascade back into the tank. Thats the idea anyway. Whether or not it will work is yet to be seen.

Of course i still have to waterproof the inside and stain the outside. As always any feedback or advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading!

Very unique! It sounds like it will work. What do plan on straining it with?

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Very unique! It sounds like it will work. What do plan on straining it with?
I have a few different sizes of foam but i may just end up putting a small sponge filter on the intake inside the tank. Trying to get everything out of the tank though and on my last planter sump i had success with foam inside the planter so I'll be experimenting with it.

Reactions: tlindsey

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
In principle that looks quite a neat idea. The only potential problem i'd be concerned about is the level of the water in it and those narrow looking channels. I know the level will be controlled by your overflow but overtime if your filter sponges, or other media, were to get clogged with gunk and overgrown plant roots etc then the flow from the intake end to the outlet end would be restricted, the water level will slowly rise and eventually it'd flood over the sides. If you were to have a very good flow through your system, as I suspect you will, as opposed to a trickle, then this scenario would happen quickly.

I'd have gone wider and deeper channels with some form of emergency overflow placed slightly above your running level overflow if that makes sense.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
In principle that looks quite a neat idea. The only potential problem i'd be concerned about is the level of the water in it and those narrow looking channels. I know the level will be controlled by your overflow but overtime if your filter sponges, or other media, were to get clogged with gunk and overgrown plant roots etc then the flow from the intake end to the outlet end would be restricted, the water level will slowly rise and eventually it'd flood over the sides. If you were to have a very good flow through your system, as I suspect you will, as opposed to a trickle, then this scenario would happen quickly.

I'd have gone wider and deeper channels with some form of emergency overflow placed slightly above your running level overflow if that makes sense.
That is always a concern of course. I made the canopy so i could still access the lids and still be able to mount the lights and maybe an air pump or something on top of the tank. My main deterrent to flooding was that there are two separate channels so that if one becomes clogged the other will take up the slack until i happen upon the clog. Flow will be 400-600 gph.

I did lower the overflow from my original plan so as to lower the water level to around 3" (the walls are 4.5" tall). I also made the inner walls 1/2" lower than the outer walls, so if in the event of a clog the spilling water may be directed inwards toward the openings on the tank. Sort of an emergency overflow i guess.

i may just reduce whatever foam i install to right about 3", so if it does become clogged, the water will simply bypass the sponges. But i hadnt considered the roots tangling it up thanks for that.

Reactions: Rob909 and Matteus

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
You filter will be a unique as the stand.
Cool idea.
I would water proof the whole thing though.
It will be subjected to a lot of water splashing,humidity.
Good point. Im lining everything except the outside panels for now. It will only be open where the overflow is, rest of the tank is sealed.

Still working on the stand as well. I may end up making yet another stand for it if i ever switch to a traditional sump.

Reactions: Rob909

Oughtsix

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2011
Redmond, OR
Very cool!

I would use fiber glass on the inside to seal and it will also add a lot of strength. Covering an interior surface with fiber glass is not very difficult, just make sure you have good ventilation! I would stain and seal the outside first, then fiber glass the inside and bottom.... it should last forever. One layer of fiberglass mesh is all you should need.

Last edited:

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Very cool!

I would use fiber glass on the inside to seal and it will also add a lot of strength. Covering an interior surface with fiber glass is not very difficult, just make sure you have good ventilation! I would stain and seal the outside first, then fiber glass the inside and bottom.... it should last forever. One layer of fiberglass mesh is all you should need.
Fiberglass would be strong but perhaps excessive imo. We're not talking about a lot of water weight in this thing. Maybe 5 gallons. At any rate ive already laid the flexseal in. Good suggestion though. It never hurts to fiberglass.

Reactions: Rob909
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store