Plywood overhead sump/canopy

markstrimaran

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2015
iowa
15507011936545808096594802399255.jpg
Instead of foam, The hot glued custom poly floss 2psi, sealed filter floss bag lasts 10x as long as a gravity fed mechanical filter media.

A 3/4" pvc coupler is reusable and simply hot glued on the seam of Walmart medium wieght quilt batting.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
View attachment 1361597
Instead of foam, The hot glued custom poly floss 2psi, sealed filter floss bag lasts 10x as long as a gravity fed mechanical filter media.

A 3/4" pvc coupler is reusable and simply hot glued on the seam of Walmart medium wieght quilt batting.
Sweet idea! Im still brainstorming how to rig up the feed to the planter. My pump is mounted on the side of the tank. I may just fill the entire rear channel with that stuff youve recommended in media bags and secure the feed line in the middle somehow.

Reactions: Matteus

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I need more updates man!!!! Haha, have you tried a "dry" run or no? I ask, because I am thinking/looking at something similar in the future.
Yeah i ran two tests out on the patio. My biggest mistake was making the overflow channel way too wide. The 600 gph pump i intended to use just has it lazily trickling out instead of the desired "waterfall" effect. I may end up going with two pumps or one larger one. Possibly the sp4 i have on the 150 now which should do the trick.20190310_144204.jpg

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I would have built this out of plastic instead of wood for many reasons.

But it is what it is, and it is very interesting. Maybe filtration and circulation can be two different functions.

Maybe add a second circulation pump that does nothing but operate your waterfall, or increase the flow and run a considerable amount of it through a bypass tube directly to the waterfall From Below.

Anyhow this is such a neat idea I kind of want to steal it for my outdoor Aquarium.

How many sweet potatoes do you think I could get in that thing? No foam or floss
. . . just lots and lots of roots.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store