Plywood tank

psychemjr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2006
Lansing, MI
I know there are a lot of links already to plywood tanks but I wanted some input on my particular idea. I already have the wood cut. It measures 96Lx36Dx24H. Gargs site says use 3/8 glass, got that already. The tank will be about 350 gals. I am planning on using Drylock to seal the tank but since drylock is designed to bond to concrete I am linning the inside of the tank with concrete backer board screwed to the plywood the painting with drylock.

Question 1 Does anyone know if drylock will bond to itself as in multiple coats?
Question 2 3/8 glass?
Question 3 Drywall srews of outdoor screws?
Question 4 Does 350 gal classify as a monster fish tank.

I start putting the wood together tomorrow. I heard my wife tell one of her friends that I was building a big fish tank and if it works she is going to drown me in it....yikes
The only change so far would be if the glaser can get me 1/2 glass 36 x 72. Then the tank gets bigger. Oh yeah the tank is for my WC Moba frontosa.
Thanks in advance
Naim :nilly:

psychemjr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2006
Lansing, MI
I would love to skip the added cost of the backer board but I cannot find any material on the long term bond between drylock and plywood. The added cost is about $60.00 to the project but at least I would be using drylock bonded to concrete as it was intended. I have read of another guy that is using drywock to plywood but I am not sure how long or if he has noticed any adverse effects as if yet.

psychemjr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2006
Lansing, MI
How tall is your 180? OK so I line the tank with backer board but then when it comes to installing the glass what is better. silicone to drylock covered cement or leave the wood bare and go that way

raceguy333

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2005
SC
thefishguy jas an 1100 gallon that was built using the backer board and drylock and has had no problems with leaks or chemical leaching my 180 has 1/2 glass for an 8' piece i would go 3/4 but i like to over do things
It's actually around 800 after it was all said and done.. Here's the build:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=103294

i think dylock seals plywood too
There is another member on that forum that is testing the drylock without the backer board... Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=115832

joeytoe

Semper fidelis
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Canton, Massachusetts USA
if your planning to have your glass taller than 24" Id go with 5/8" - 3/4" to be safe

psychemjr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2006
Lansing, MI
So OK I started building this beast and well I have my reservations. This thing is huge. I am taking pics so I will post them when the camera is finished.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store