Plz help my arowana is sick

Ritesh

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2021
Hi I have a arowana and every week he gets this white stringy thing on him, he curls up and stops eating. He starts eating aggressively again as soon as I do a water change.I think it's because of water quality.Also he is in a fairly small tank(60 gallons).I just need him to hold for 5 more months as I'm building a 900gallon outdoor aquarium for him. Do you think this will solve the problem. Also can you tell me whether fungal medication will work for now.Ph was5.5 now it's 6.5 after water Change. Also I did use antibiotics in this tank, I think it killed all my bacteria

20210218_174650.jpg

20210218_174637.jpg

20210218_172219.jpg

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Poor water is causing this probably. Looks like excessive slimecoat. Water changes twice a week will help. Maybe more. Would hold of on more antibiotics. Need to check the water parameters if able. Maybe reduce ur feedings as well. Add some bacteria in a bottle. Or get some some established media from a fellow hobbyist.

Ritesh

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2021
Poor water is causing this probably. Looks like excessive slimecoat. Water changes twice a week will help. Maybe more. Would hold of on more antibiotics. Need to check the water parameters if able. Maybe reduce ur feedings as well. Add some bacteria in a bottle. Or get some some established media from a fellow hobbyist.

Ritesh

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2021
Hi thanks a lot for replying. Are you sure it's not a fungus.Also is there any cure for excess slime coat

Ritesh

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2021
Doesn’t look like fungus to me. Fix is doing the water changes.
Ok I'll buy some bioballs since there isn't a lot of surface area in the tank. Will a buffer help to maintain Ph constant between the 2 weekly water changes

Last edited:

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Ok I'll buy some bioballs since there isn't a lot of surface area in the tank. Will a buffer help to maintain Ph constant between the 2 weekly water changes
It’ll help but you’ll have to check ur water to maintain the ph. Fluctuating ph can cause this and make it worse. Want to avoid this.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
What is the ph of the new water?
Trying to figure why the ph in the tank is so low and comes up significantly on water changes. Also, what is in the tank to drive it down again (other than feeding etc.)

Ritesh

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2021
What is the ph of the new water?
Trying to figure why the ph in the tank is so low and comes up significantly on water changes. Also, what is in the tank to drive it down again (other than feeding etc.)
After water change ph it 6.5 after a week it's 5.5.i used antibiotics in the tanks, thiskilled my bacteria.fidh poop is there only other source of NH3

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store