Plz help my arowana is sick

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Looks to me like a completely bare tank? If so there is nothing in there to drive the ph down other than the fish, it’s waste and feeding, if you have stopped the antibiotics.
Still don’t know the parameters of the water so we need to have a water test.
Would agree that it looks like excess slime due to poor water so 50% change twice a week should help.
But still want to know the parameters of the new water too.
You say the tank is ph 6.5 after the water change but don’t say how much you change or what the ph of the water is you are adding.
What filtration is on the tank?
If you have stopped the antibiotics then I also agree that the bio ball’s will help the filter restart but depends a little also on the water you are adding and it’s parameters.

Ritesh

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2021
Looks to me like a completely bare tank? If so there is nothing in there to drive the ph down other than the fish, it’s waste and feeding, if you have stopped the antibiotics.
Still don’t know the parameters of the water so we need to have a water test.
Would agree that it looks like excess slime due to poor water so 50% change twice a week should help.
But still want to know the parameters of the new water too.
You say the tank is ph 6.5 after the water change but don’t say how much you change or what the ph of the water is you are adding.
What filtration is on the tank?
If you have stopped the antibiotics then I also agree that the bio ball’s will help the filter restart but depends a little also on the water you are adding and it’s parameters.
I cant buy the test kit since its not available at my local pet stores. I'll go and see if I can find one next week. Ph tap water is between 6.5 to 7 and I did a 50% water change for ph to rise from 5.5 to 6.5. The tank is bare bottom and has only a small boyu filter that I don't think has enough surface area. I just bought a new pressure filter for the 3500 L aquarium and it has 125 bio balls. Do I use those or should I buy ceramic ones

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I cant buy the test kit since its not available at my local pet stores. I'll go and see if I can find one next week. Ph tap water is between 6.5 to 7 and I did a 50% water change for ph to rise from 5.5 to 6.5. The tank is bare bottom and has only a small boyu filter that I don't think has enough surface area. I just bought a new pressure filter for the 3500 L aquarium and it has 125 bio balls. Do I use those or should I buy ceramic ones
If the bio media is going inside a filter ceramic would be my choice. The bio balls would be more challenging to maintain in a cannister filter for example.

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
The fish is producing excess slime to try and protect itself from the "poison" it is swimming around in, and i'll be amazed if it can carry on doing this for another 5 months until your pond is complete.

It looks like the fish is in too small of a tank, and by your own admittence is run by "a small boyu filter that I don't think has enough surface area". No substrate or decor either for any bacteria to grow on which would help take the pressure off your inadequate filter.

I don't know what your feeding or water change schedule is but both of these issues can contribute to your rapidly decreasing PH, and i've no doubt that ammonia is playing it's part as well.

You say your fish feeds aggressively after a water change? It's amazing what a shot of clean water can do for fish and that is a sure indication what you need to do. Your job for the next 5 months is to keep that water pristeen, and not just for a couple of days until it starts going sour again. Keep well on top of your water changes and take it easy with the feeding, not too much. The slime coat issue, ph drop and overall dire situation should improve to the point where the fish survives long enough to make it to its new home.

Good luck.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The fish is producing excess slime to try and protect itself from the "poison" it is swimming around in, and i'll be amazed if it can carry on doing this for another 5 months until your pond is complete.

It looks like the fish is in too small of a tank, and by your own admittence is run by "a small boyu filter that I don't think has enough surface area". No substrate or decor either for any bacteria to grow on which would help take the pressure off your inadequate filter.

I don't know what your feeding or water change schedule is but both of these issues can contribute to your rapidly decreasing PH, and i've no doubt that ammonia is playing it's part as well.

You say your fish feeds aggressively after a water change? It's amazing what a shot of clean water can do for fish and that is a sure indication what you need to do. Your job for the next 5 months is to keep that water pristeen, and not just for a couple of days until it starts going sour again. Keep well on top of your water changes and take it easy with the feeding, not too much. The slime coat issue, ph drop and overall dire situation should improve to the point where the fish survives long enough to make it to its new home.

Good luck.
^
This

Ritesh

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2021
Thx for the help. I bought ceramic rings and bacteria and it solved the problem. I'm also doing weekly water changes. It's so nice to see it active again

Ritesh

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2021
You can buy a few & stack them on top of each other in a corner of the tank. If you stack them high enough the air hose won't be so easy for him to grab ahold of.
Yeah I'll do that when I put him in his new tank

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store