PLZ HELP THE POOR CICHLID!

d20monsteroscar20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Missouri City, TX
It has been 5 days almost a week since I got the Oscar and he wasnt eating since then. I tryed all types of food but he just wont eat. I guess is the medication that is making him not eat, all I know is that I want to do my best to save this poor guy but he is not helping me I tried putting pallets in his mouth while he comes to the surfice for some air but he spits it back out so I do dont know. Any suggestions?

Ornatapinnis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2005
Dayton Ohio
The fish does not need medication in it's water, you can not fix hole in the head by adding medication to the aquarium. It is not an external parasite or disease.

Check your water quality and correct as needed, perform regular partial water changes, (a few a week) get the meds out of the water. Add Fresh water aquarium salt to the aquarium at a rate of about 5ml per 5-10 gallons of aquarium water.

These things will help a fish with hole in the head. I seriously doubt that this fish is not eating because of hole in the head, it is most likley an enviromentl problem or shock cause by being transfered from a body of water to another with very different parameters.

Joel

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
y didnt you say he was free in the first place?Anyway forget the medication its not going to help.keep the water quality perfect with water changes,probably daily if hes still in a 29gal tank,and remove the carbon from the filter,oscars are sensitive to it.Get him in a bigger tank asap.

d20monsteroscar20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Missouri City, TX
TANX EVERYONE! The poor fish didnt have a chance he died today while I was out of the house. Like I said he didnt ate anything I gave to him. I hate whe Im trying to save a poor animal and its too late, I mean what do ppl think when they buy cichlids or animals that will get big? the poor fish wasnt in a gud home and thats why he died. Plz if you dont know what you doing dont keep fish or you will be my # enemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Howdy,

I'm sorry to hear it didn't work out.
Here's the key question: Will you ever go back to that store? On one hand they gave you a free fish. On the other hand, they let the condition of the fish deteriorate to a non-reversible state... We're basically back to the initial controversy. However, now they're your "# enemies", as you call them in your latest post?!

HarleyK

ps
I'm not trying to be a wise-ass. Just trying to make a point. I see sick fish in a store and I won't ever even buy supplies there... My way of making a point. What's yours?

d20monsteroscar20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2005
Missouri City, TX
Well the guy in the store had tell me that someone droped the fish in the store, like some custumers used to owned them, and to tell you the true the only reason why I go back to that store and buy fishes there is because its the closest to my house right now, I can walk to it. Right now I m paying for all my classes and my car broke down whish means I cant go to the other stores around. But dont worrie I m not planning on buying any more fishes, specially from that store. But sometimes I have to realize that no matter how one thinks one is a gud fish keeper there is sometimes times when we make careless mistakes, however I have never had one of my fishes suffer that much. To answer your question I wouldnt buy anything from a store where they mistreat animals, However I havent found a store where I would give at most 5 stars out of 10 for gud fish keeping so yah, in other hands there is just not perfect stores down here!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store