Point and Shoot Camera (non SLR) POTM Contest?

inssane

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
Chicago
I love photography, but don't have an SLR. Many people here, I'm sure, don't have $500+ cameras, not to mention lights, lenses, etc.
I definitely admire the quality of SLR shots here, and the creativity it takes to get a photo like that. Many of us who only use point and shoot cameras don't quite have that edge, unless they photoshop the heck out of it.

I don't personally believe that true photography should be photoshopped. It should be purely based on one's skill. I know that I try very hard to get great photos. I adjust my settings based on my fish's activity and I do the best I can with the level camera I have.
I am sure many of us are in the same boat.

Can we pilot a "Point and Shoot" POTM contest? I think it would be nice and maybe people won't be so concerned and post up pics asking if it's good enough.
Thanks
Nick

ScatMan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
PA
there are a bunch of higher end point and shoots that will do anything a lower end slr/dslr will do... except swap out lenses.

my cousin is a photographer and the things she can do with a budget point and shoot amaze me!

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
We don't even have a regular POTM contest, let alone one specifically for P&S :ROFL:

BTW, post-processing is an important part of photography, whether you're using a DSLR or a P&S. There are things that the camera can't get right, like white balance. And sometimes you need to make a few exposure, highlight, shadow, contrast, etc etc adjustments to make the picture an accurate representation. There is nothing wrong with that IMO :)

kingkarter

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2010
MI
jcardona1;4851723; said:
We don't even have a regular POTM contest, let alone one specifically for P&S :ROFL:

BTW, post-processing is an important part of photography, whether you're using a DSLR or a P&S. There are things that the camera can't get right, like white balance. And sometimes you need to make a few exposure, highlight, shadow, contrast, etc etc adjustments to make the picture an accurate representation. There is nothing wrong with that IMO :)
I couldn't agree more

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis

inssane

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
Chicago
Yeah, yeah Pharoah...:(

Chaitika;4856223; said:
Post processing is cheating. :D
Cheers to that!

I definitely admire post processing, but many of us don't possess the skill in photoshop that many others do. I honestly just like tweaking the settings on the camera, taking a bunch of pictures (planned out) and finding that one gem of a shot.

At least POTM is back soon. :D

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
inssane;4857411; said:
Yeah, yeah Pharoah...:(

Cheers to that!

I definitely admire post processing, but many of us don't possess the skill in photoshop that many others do. I honestly just like tweaking the settings on the camera, taking a bunch of pictures (planned out) and finding that one gem of a shot.

At least POTM is back soon. :D
If you want to get into taking better shots, hit up Aquatic Photography. There are some solid people over there that can really help you out. Even with a point and shoot.

Just stay way from that Chaitika guy.... He's sketchy. ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store