Poly’s in the Closet

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Plants and polys are fine. They might uproot some in the substrate or squash them with their fat butts. The floating ones are good I had amazon frog bit and dwarf water lettuce when my sens and dels were young they loved hiding in the root structures.
If you are planting stuff just get sturdy plants amazon swords, anubias, stuff like that.

Reactions: Jafar P Arab

Jafar P Arab

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2017
Northridge ca
Plants and polys are fine. They might uproot some in the substrate or squash them with their fat butts. The floating ones are good I had amazon frog bit and dwarf water lettuce when my sens and dels were young they loved hiding in the root structures.
If you are planting stuff just get sturdy plants amazon swords, anubias, stuff like that.
Awesome they do like to get messy haha but yea for hiding make sense

Marine Iguana

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2017
Berwick, PA
I’m not planning on adding a substrate, so the only plants I’ve considered adding are floaters, and rhizome plants. Have a few pieces of java fern wedges into the rocks right now, I might try some anubias. Definitely doing floaters now.

Getting frustrated with my lfs that keeps failing to order any of the spp I’m requesting (he has a few endleri’s that he’s been trying to convince me to purchase even though they’ll outgrow the 75). Thinking of placing an order with wet spot tropicals and just sucking up the cost of shipping. Here’s what I’m thinking for a final tentative stocking:

x1 senegalus
x1 delhezi
x1 palmas or polli (I’ve heard most palmas imported tend to be polli’s)
x1 buttikoferi
x1 leopard ctenopoma
x1 African brown knifefish
x3 hujeta gar characin

What do you guys think? I know it’ll be a pretty heavy stock when full grown, what my plans are is to buy a used 120 or 180 when it becomes available, and ultimately transfer this stock to that tank. Then I’ll get a school of exodons for the 75!

Off the top of your heads, do you know if the African knife would be okay without substrate? I also want to get your opinions on the hujeta gar- most sources say they’re fine with anything that isn’t overly aggressive and isn’t bite sized, but I see some weird reports of them eating relatively large fish. If the characins are too risky a move, I think I’ll switch to a few African butterfly fish.

Thanks for any advice!

Jafar P Arab

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2017
Northridge ca
I see sounds good i stick with the uppers they are pretty too and mhch easier to find sens and delhz are pretty common and im in Northridge area

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store