Poly pond.

CrazyKoiCracker

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2018
I like his bands.
and your rope fish are awesome. I want to do that. I saw some other inhabitants in there. One looked like a black skirt tetra, (?!?!?) whats the current stocking in the pond? I either couldn’t recognize or just don’t know all of the species I saw. The polys I know. But what else is in there? And what kindof filtration system are you running?

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Very cool set-up! I never realized how well-suited polys are to being viewed from above. And I don't think I've ever heard of frontosas being used as dither fish! :)

I've only ever kept one poly (an ornatipinnis I had for years) as well as a couple of Ropefish. I watched a couple of escape attempts in person; they didn't so much "jump" but rather more of a high-speed squirt up in a corner. Subtle distinction? :) Not having sharp corners in your pond might be helping to prevent squirting...er, jumping...

Looking forward to seeing some pics of the plant shelf when it's done. :)

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
So in the pond I have 3dels, 1polli,1palmas,1moke,1albino,1lfsen, 2butts, lost count on the ropes I think 11.....
3 red fronts, 1ctenopoma, 2multipunks, 2valentini, 1flavitaeniatus, 1gold nigriventris, 1bristlenose, 1sae, and yes 1 black skirt that the polys have adopted (they ate the other 5 when they were in the 180).

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Very cool set-up! I never realized how well-suited polys are to being viewed from above. And I don't think I've ever heard of frontosas being used as dither fish! :)

I've only ever kept one poly (an ornatipinnis I had for years) as well as a couple of Ropefish. I watched a couple of escape attempts in person; they didn't so much "jump" but rather more of a high-speed squirt up in a corner. Subtle distinction? :) Not having sharp corners in your pond might be helping to prevent squirting...er, jumping...

Looking forward to seeing some pics of the plant shelf when it's done. :)
Polys jump for sure. Rope more like climb or like you said squirt.....lol. So there is a theory that both ropes and polys jump from internal issues (meaning inside the tank) or external stimulus. Another thing that seems to stop them from jumping and trying to escape is if you "allow" them to leave the water or be close to the surface of the water while being supported from below like using a shelf or a turtle dock. The water level in the pond is about 6" from the top I've not had any leave or try to leave the pond since setting up spots for this. In the beginning the one butt jumped alot so I had to have tops or a net. I am going to be enclosing this to cut back on humidity in the room and grow a plant wall above and behind the pond.

Sump filtration. Will be above sump soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store