polypterus common diseases

VITRUVIAN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 30, 2007
GREECE ATHENS
i am going to buy some medicine in order to be ready if something wrong happens and i have to deal with a disease

can someone tell me some of the diseases that are common to polypterus so i can buy the risght stuff?

thank you in advance!

jdryden

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2007
Bentonville, Arkansas
I keep some parasite meds and stress coat handy, plus the all important aquarium salt and quarantine/hospital tank. I've got some other stuff, but thats all I seem to use on the polys.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
Medication
Bichirs in general are a hardy fish however if you need to treat a tank with
bichirs in it, some medications are not tolerated well ,particulary copper based
ones such as malachite green, victoria green, methyline blue, and formalin based
medications, below is a list of medications and dosages.
formalin based medication 1/2 directed dose
methyline blue 1/2 directed dose
malachite green 1/2 directed dose
parasite guard 3/4 directed dose
parasite guard full directed dose
metronidazole full diercted dose
maracyn-2 full directed dose
maracyn full directed dose
kanacyn full directed dose
melafix full directed dose
pimafix full directed dose
aquarisol 1/2-2/3 directed dose
quickcure 1/2-2/3 directed dose
neo-sporin or poly-sporin as topical antiseptic
As with any medication watch for any signs of istress.

Parasites particular to Polypterids
While generally hardy fish, bichirs can get many of the normal standard fish
dieases however there are some specific to bichirs and those are the focus
of this post.

Digenetic trematodes ( internal flukes)
Callodistmum diaphaannum- may be found in Polypterus bichir (gall bladder)
The adult form of these flukes can inhabit any part of the body diagnosis of these
worms is usually not possible and treatment is not warranted

Monogenetic trematodes(skin and gill flukes)
Macrogyrodactylus polypter-malmberg
Macrogyrodactylus polypteri- may be found in wildcaught P.senegalus form Gambia
These resemble fine hairs or very fine pieces of thread,they are visible to the naked
eye as symptons include rubbing and rolling its body and thrashing it can be cured
usually by using Jungle labs Parasite guard at 3/4 dose.(this is the most comon
parasite i have seen)

Proteocephalus (tapeworms)
Proteocephalus pentastoma -may be found in P. bichir wildcaught from the Sudan
Proteocephalus sulcatus- may be found in P. endilcheri wildcaught from the sudan
Polyoncobothrium polypteri- may be found in P.bichir wildcaught in Egypt
Camallanus polypteri n. sp-.is described from Polypterus bichir in Lake Tingrela, Burkina Faso.
The adults lie in the intestines of it host as it sheds its eggsthey are pushed down
the intestines and eventually into the water.Most if not all need an intermediate
host .ie.the eggs are eaten by a small crustacean it in turn is eaten by a small
fish which in turn is eaten by a bigger fish.A starving host may expell its tapeworm .

Lernaeidae (parasitic crustaceans)
Lernaea haplocephala - May be found on any wildcaught polypterid
This is a species of anchor worm i'd suggest parasite guard 3/4 dose
So you can see along with the more common parasites.We have some
species specific ones.Here i cannot help but bring up the importence
the practice of quartine is, especially with bichirs as many are wild-
caught .And the risk of contamination is to high.All new specimens really
need to be quaratineed for 4 weeks

Also figure infections form wounds such as fungus and bacterial infections

Merbeast

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2007
Sacramento, CA
www.thinking-man.net
Has anyone seen a bichir with ich? My rope fish got ich, but none of my bichirs ever showed any of it. EVER. I've had three outbreaks (in 3 different tanks) and none of the bichirs in either tank showed any symptoms.

Infblue

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
US
Merbeast;1289448; said:
Has anyone seen a bichir with ich? My rope fish got ich, but none of my bichirs ever showed any of it. EVER. I've had three outbreaks (in 3 different tanks) and none of the bichirs in either tank showed any symptoms.
yes they can get ich, very rarely, but definitely possible.

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
i have never seen bichirs or dojo loaches with ich

B.K.

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2007
GE
i think the most common is some torn fins or cloudy eyes thats all.

can get some spare melafix though :)

uwe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
Germany
Hello,

the most common desease of polypterids are Macrogyrodactylus polypteri - it's a parasite (wormlike) that is found often on new imported bichirs and ropefish from Africa. Under natural circumstances this parasite do not kill the polypterid, but under aquaristic circumstances is Macrogyrodactylus mostly lethal. The reason of this lethality could be found in a higher population under aquaristic terms and also in the absence of any enemies of this parasite.
Attacked polypterids often die from secundar infections caused by bacteria (bacteriosis). The parasite hurts the mucosa and also causes immunosuppression (to shelter itself). In Germany Macrogyrodactylus polypteri is the most common cause of death of polypterids.
The contraindication is a bit adventurous ... in some countries the most effective medication, FLUBENAZOL, isn't allowed. Normally this supplement is used for pigs!
The other medication, PRAZIQUANTEL, paralyzes the parasite - often enough there is a new breakout of the desease after months.
Due to the harsh original habitat Macrogyrodactylus polypteri is an artist of survival! So the methods of antagonizing are a much harder way as the procedure usually done to fight against Oodinium, Ichtyo and other parasites.
The medication that is successful to heal other deseases caused by parasites isn't successful to heal a decay of Macrogyrodactylus!!!

Greetings from Germany

Uwe

Jimbotron

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2017
Hello everyone, I finally joined n have a first post! Sadly my post is about my new favorite fish. I noticed these spots on my poly, I've had him for maybe 3 months. Pretty much new to fish all together. I haven't seen any pics of common problems but I'm leanine toward a possible fungal problem. Would someone mind helping this n00b out? lol

20170602_080135.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store