Polypterus Missing Finlets

IgnatzMcJockel

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
Since... i think 2-3 weeks, i'm the lucky owner of a polypterus teugelsi :)nilly:).
It arrived very small, barely about 1,5". With a great apetite it seems to be growing about 0,1" per week.
It is still verry shy, but seems to be healthy and active.
Now to my question:
It looks, like it has its first 3 finlets and the other finlets seem to be missing. Additionally the second and third finlet doesn't look like they are fully developed.
vlcsnap-2021-05-17-02h25m47s751.png
I know Polys are very good at healing / regrowing fins... but how to regrow what wasn't there?

What do you think? How are the chances, that the remaining finlets will grow?
Or is it that small, that they just didn't fully develop at this size?

Reactions: tlindsey

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Since... i think 2-3 weeks, i'm the lucky owner of a polypterus teugelsi :)nilly:).
It arrived very small, barely about 1,5". With a great apetite it seems to be growing about 0,1" per week.
It is still verry shy, but seems to be healthy and active.
Now to my question:
It looks, like it has its first 3 finlets and the other finlets seem to be missing. Additionally the second and third finlet doesn't look like they are fully developed.
View attachment 1460732
I know Polys are very good at healing / regrowing fins... but how to regrow what wasn't there?

What do you think? How are the chances, that the remaining finlets will grow?
Or is it that small, that they just didn't fully develop at this size?
Weird but I like the look of it I’m not good with Polypterus but maybe it’s just a result in interbreeding or a birth defect

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Probably born that way but still looks nice imo. Also wild fish produce fry with defects.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
Looks cool imo. Couldn't have been ripped off because you got it small, so most likely it was born that way

IgnatzMcJockel

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2019
Germany
Thanks for your assessment :)
So it looks like i got a unique one ?
It doesn't make a difference how many finlets it has, as long as it is healthy... i really like this little guy^^
I just wanted to know, what i have to expect.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store