Polypterus Senegalus - Always Swimming?

fahakapuffpuffpass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2017
Howdy all,

I'm new to the MFK community. I have a ~6" senegalus named Dino. I know that they are bottom dwellers, but my Dino seems to be swimming laps in the top half of the tank 24/7. Is this just because he's still small for a poly or perhaps tank size? He is in a 55 gallon with lots of friends but no one ever bothers him. He has plenty of room in the 55, though I know its a small tank respectively considering his full potential size.

It's not a cause of concern to me, he seems happy as can be, and will be getting a tank upgrade when space becomes a problem. I'm just wondering if anyone else has Polys with this type of personality - and does it ever persist into adulthood? Thanks!

Here's a picture of Dino - he's one of my most personable fish by far.IMG_1308.png

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Welcome to the forum.

I have a senegalus and is pretty active as well. Pretty common for these polys to be active. A 55g should be good for a senegalus unless overstocked. They have have cb for sometime and will be 6in for a while. Can sens are readily available and rarely are wc sens seen unless ur Hendre Hendre .

Looks make in the pic. Can ask the Senegal whisperer for help on the gender tlindsey tlindsey .

Zilch

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2016
West Palm Beach, FL
Looks male to me too. Sens are usually pretty active, though my old non albino was a jerk who hung out in one spot all the time and bit the larger lower Jaws that got near his spot. My albino is very active though, come to think of it most of my ujs are pretty active with the exception of the weeksiis

Reactions: fahakapuffpuffpass

fahakapuffpuffpass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2017
Welcome to the forum.

I have a senegalus and is pretty active as well. Pretty common for these polys to be active. A 55g should be good for a senegalus unless overstocked. They have have cb for sometime and will be 6in for a while. Can sens are readily available and rarely are wc sens seen unless ur Hendre Hendre .

Looks make in the pic. Can ask the Senegal whisperer for help on the gender tlindsey tlindsey .
Sweet! He has lots of tank mates, including a delhezi, going to upgrade their tank soon enough so hopefully they can reach their full potential.

fahakapuffpuffpass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2017
Looks male to me too. Sens are usually pretty active, though my old non albino was a jerk who hung out in one spot all the time and bit the larger lower Jaws that got near his spot. My albino is very active though, come to think of it most of my ujs are pretty active with the exception of the weeksiis
When you say lower versus upper jaw is it that their upper jaw goes out farther? If so am I correct in assuming my delhezi is a upper jaw as well?

Reactions: tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I think the swimming laps is just a thing of them settling in. My cb one did it for a bit but 2 weeks later he's settled in and not doing it as much, still busy.

My wc which i got on Friday is still extremely lively even for a sen

Good luck with yours :)

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
my albino sen swam laps for the 1st couple days but doesn't do laps anymore but he swims with his reflection on the side constantly and if he isn't doing it my ropefish or teug are. My gold dust never did, neither does my ornate and my regular sen "Damn It" doesn't but he has his own quirks I agree with Hendre he will settle down a little but in my opinion he will stay a mover and shaker

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store