Polys with bass??

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Hey does anyone here know of polys kept with bass? I have a 1’ ornate and would like to keep him with my bass. Right now bass are between 5-6.6”. The biggest one is bigger than the ornate mouth for sure but the smaller 2 not so much.

Right now he is suspected of eating 1 possibly 2 of the smaller ones. Other than this he hasn’t eaten any live foods since it was 3”. Hopefully it doesn’t give him a taste for live. He’s well fed, maybe even over fed so it’s not a hunger issue.

Looking for any helpful ideas and suggestions

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
U can leave the lights on at night. Just until the pbass gets thicker. Streamline tankmates tend to be at higher risk from predation.
Right now there is a divider between the bass and the ornate. I may do that for the first night or two when I try to put the biggest one on the other side of the divider though, to hopefully help it get acclimated to the other side of the divider. Or do you think that would be a moot point if they are already in the same water?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Right now there is a divider between the bass and the ornate. I may do that for the first night or two when I try to put the biggest one on the other side of the divider though, to hopefully help it get acclimated to the other side of the divider. Or do you think that would be a moot point if they are already in the same water?
You could just leave them divided from the Ornate.

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
I think they would be fine, my lfs had 4 bichirs in a 360 with peacock bass, pike, Oscars, ripsaw catfish, giant gouramis, bala sharks, silver dollars, and other large fish and they did fine, but I'd recommend some hides for the bichir or to have a divider big enough for the bichir to get through, but not for the bass

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
I think they would be fine, my lfs had 4 bichirs in a 360 with peacock bass, pike, Oscars, ripsaw catfish, giant gouramis, bala sharks, silver dollars, and other large fish and they did fine, but I'd recommend some hides for the bichir or to have a divider big enough for the bichir to get through, but not for the bass
The issue is the bichir eating any more of my bass so that wouldn’t be helpful

Reactions: tlindsey

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Mixing predatory fish is always a risk regardless of size but especially because of it. When you put new fish in they release pheromones usually fear. This can have two effects 1 dithers and schoolers will hide scatter or school tighter. 2 excite predators. By leacing them in there separated they may "get used" to each other. Thats just a hunch and no idea how long that will take. Best course is to get size on them before a new interaction. Id try keeping the in the same tank with the divider if possible.

Reactions: Matteus

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Thank you f
Mixing predatory fish is always a risk regardless of size but especially because of it. When you put new fish in they release pheromones usually fear. This can have two effects 1 dithers and schoolers will hide scatter or school tighter. 2 excite predators. By leacing them in there separated they may "get used" to each other. Thats just a hunch and no idea how long that will take. Best course is to get size on them before a new interaction. Id try keeping the in the same tank with the divider if possible.
ok thank you. This is what I was also thinking so far but wanted to check in before I lost any more bass. I feel like they are my babies, spent lots of time and effort trying to get them eating pellets. Still can’t believe how fussy they are.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store