Pond project

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Thank you. It’s 3,000 give or take.
Wow,my little puddle of a pond could fit inside yours with plenty of room to spare lol.Good looking hostas too I have a few different types around my yard.
Is that a vole that your cat has captured?

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Wow,my little puddle of a pond could fit inside yours with plenty of room to spare lol.Good looking hostas too I have a few different types around my yard.
Is that a vole that your cat has captured?
I feel like pictures of the pond are deceptive and make it look smaller then it is. Haha. I do hope to make a bigger one in the coming years? But I won’t be digging that one by hand! ?
I think your right about it being a vole. I thought it was a mouse because it had a tail so I knew it wasn’t a shrew. But it looked like a odd mouse. Lol

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I feel like pictures of the pond are deceptive and make it look smaller then it is. Haha. I do hope to make a bigger one in the coming years? But I won’t be digging that one by hand! ?
I think your right about it being a vole. I thought it was a mouse because it had a tail so I knew it wasn’t a shrew. But it looked like a odd mouse. Lol
The odd looking shape of the thing suggested to me that it might be a vole.BTW what is that metal dome sticking out from one of the hostas?

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
The odd looking shape of the thing suggested to me that it might be a vole.BTW what is that metal dome sticking out from one of the hostas?
Oh, haha! I didn’t know what you were talking about at first. That’s a roof vent thingy that spins. I like it, but didn’t have a place to stick it yet so I just set it there. It will get moved once I put the finishing touches around the new patio. Things are still a bit of a mess.
I have another one of these vent things, but it’s like 3’ around. Not sure where I’d put that. Lol.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I love this pond; just beautiful! And you have done so much work on the surroundings that make it that much more impressive. I think I have seen more progress on your pond in a week or two of posts than I have made around my little pond in the past 5 years!

Did your new fish go into an indoor aquarium to quarantine before adding to the pond? Was the biofilter completely cycled? It seems as though they have been doing okay for over a week before this disaster struck; if your biofilter was not working I think that with that much bioload your ammonia would have spiked more quickly.

From the looks of your surrounding area I am thinking that you are on a well? So, sudden surprise additions of chloramine to your tap water aren't a possibility? Until/unless you are certain that your source water is okay, I would refrain from doing any significant water changes in your main pond.

Good luck, I hope you figure out what happened here and keep this thread updated.

Reactions: deeda and MrsE88

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Oh, haha! I didn’t know what you were talking about at first. That’s a roof vent thingy that spins. I like it, but didn’t have a place to stick it yet so I just set it there. It will get moved once I put the finishing touches around the new patio. Things are still a bit of a mess.
I have another one of these vent things, but it’s like 3’ around. Not sure where I’d put that. Lol.
I thought that's what that was,I figured you had some kind of project going on with it....like an underground hideaway lol.

Reactions: MrsE88

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I love this pond; just beautiful! And you have done so much work on the surroundings that make it that much more impressive. I think I have seen more progress on your pond in a week or two of posts than I have made around my little pond in the past 5 years!

Did your new fish go into an indoor aquarium to quarantine before adding to the pond? Was the biofilter completely cycled? It seems as though they have been doing okay for over a week before this disaster struck; if your biofilter was not working I think that with that much bioload your ammonia would have spiked more quickly.

From the looks of your surrounding area I am thinking that you are on a well? So, sudden surprise additions of chloramine to your tap water aren't a possibility? Until/unless you are certain that your source water is okay, I would refrain from doing any significant water changes in your main pond.

Good luck, I hope you figure out what happened here and keep this thread updated.
The tank was newly setup with bio and used filter floss from another tank. I was doing water changes every other day to help keep ammonia down. I missed the last w/c by a couple days being distracted with outside work while my husband was home to help me. It must have been just enough to cause them to freak out. I think it was smashing into the glass that did them in:(
Thankfully since moving them to the pond they have been great! Not a single loss.
I am on a well that has a varying ammonia reading. Between 2-4 most of the time. It sucks and I have to be careful with water changes to not forget to add conditioner.

I thought that's what that was,I figured you had some kind of project going on with it....like an underground hideaway lol.
Haha. It’s my underground bunker??

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
...I am on a well that has a varying ammonia reading. Between 2-4 most of the time. It sucks and I have to be careful with water changes to not forget to add conditioner.
Wow...that sucks. Having a well and still having to pre-treat water has got to be the worst of both worlds. But glad to hear that the remaining fish are doing great. :)

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Wow...that sucks. Having a well and still having to pre-treat water has got to be the worst of both worlds. But glad to hear that the remaining fish are doing great. :)
It wasn’t always like that. Just thee years ago I had zero ammonia from the well and I didn’t use any conditioners. I can’t recall what happened that got me to recheck my source water, but it had jumped to 4ppm! I’ve been using prime/safe since and check my well every couple months. Our water table has been really high and I’m guessing agricultural run off is to blame. It’s why we don’t drink from our well:/

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Some pictures I took after we put a new swing up and finished the rock around it.
94B15F90-B506-42F1-9EC7-A8D87CCB4A39.jpegCBEA47AF-3DFC-4ED5-855E-05A9A4472393.jpeg
The old wood swing will be made into a decorative bench. My step dad made it for me and I don’t want to part with it just because the wood is cracking.
Some pond plants were delivered yesterday. I put my water lettuce and small floaters out too. I’m hoping keeping them guarded for a bit will give them time to grow and multiply before the koi decide they taste good. Lol
670AFC65-4CE4-4683-9C0D-4A7400D6801E.png

And lastly a crappy picture I took from my kitchen window. The guineas love drinking from the pond. 052FE0D1-574F-4F1A-A7EE-B6A6CDF18D66.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store