MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I never knew I could use pool
Filter sand for a aquarium I think I’ll give it a shot
Anything to avoid ?
I have used PFS since the 80s, I usually get it from an abrasives wholesaler at about $5 for a 50lb bag.
Because it needs to be backwashed in pool filters, it is dense and heavy enough not to get sucked up in filters like some finer grained sands, yet it doesn't have interstitial spaces that allow detritus to work in, so detritus is easy to vacuum from the substrate surface.
I prefer the natural color, to the white, because the white seems make fish colors wash out, they will try to instinctually blend in.
A tank with PFS below.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Pool filter sand is mesh size #20. So you can find equivalent silica sand, but those tend to have more debris than PFS.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Beautiful leaf fish, makes me miss mine so much. Let me guess, around 5 inches? Maybe 5.5.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
Nice! Mine only took pellets I put in for my various bottom dwellers, he was like a large cory.

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
Black Diamond blasting sand is awesome. Just get the more coarse size at tractor supply. They only carry two sizes at the stores I've been in. I use it for everything now, cichlids, plants, shrimp, snails, you name it. Only drawback is that black is the only color, but for me that's the look I go for.

Jacob92677

Dovii
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2019
South Orange County CA ?? USA ??
Black Diamond blasting sand is awesome. Just get the more coarse size at tractor supply. They only carry two sizes at the stores I've been in. I use it for everything now, cichlids, plants, shrimp, snails, you name it. Only drawback is that black is the only color, but for me that's the look I go for.
Any pics
And where else can I buy this stuff
Nearest trac supply is about a hours from me

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store