Potential Tank mate for Green Terror

Jon Colley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2018
At the moment I have a 180 gal tank with a dozen Andianoacara. Because they were all added about the same time, territorial disputes were relatively mild, although the alpha male drove 3 similar sized males right out of the tank.
View attachment 1364629
So consider what your alpha owner of a tank as small as a 75 gal,(i consider a 75 a relatively small tank for anything but the smallest cichlids) will do to a cichlid it considers a new interloper and competition.
In truth, I consider my 180 small, and plan on reducing the cichlid population.
I believe if you had added the cichlids all the same day, they may have worked the tank out, but add one and giving it enough time to establish sovereignty is a recipe for getting either the new one, or the GT (if not tough enough) killed.
Let us know the outcome, if you decide to tempt fate.
I have been looking at other potential fish and I wonder if a larger rainbow fish would be compatible? Something like the Irian Red this is just a thought and not at all a final decision just wanna get some further input from someone who knows more about this stuff than I do.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I have been looking at other potential fish and I wonder if a larger rainbow fish would be compatible? Something like the Irian Red this is just a thought and not at all a final decision just wanna get some further input from someone who knows more about this stuff than I do.
I have two in with my gts and they are doing great.

I love rainbowfish. I have three different kinds for a total of four rainbows in the tank. They tend to school with the giant danios.

Reactions: Jon Colley

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Perfect that’s exactly what I needed to see thank you so much for the photos!
No problem. I know they aren’t geographically correct, but I love the intense red with the color of the green terrors.
As much as I love my giant danios, I’d like to phase them out with rainbows. They are fast, colorful, and the terrors pay no attention to them.

Jon Colley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2018
No problem. I know they aren’t geographically correct, but I love the intense red with the color of the green terrors.
As much as I love my giant danios, I’d like to phase them out with rainbows. They are fast, colorful, and the terrors pay no attention to them.
The color contrast between the Rainbows and the GT is really beautiful! The other Rianbow in the top picture what type is that? That type if I can get them would look great in tank!

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
The color contrast between the Rainbows and the GT is really beautiful! The other Rianbow in the top picture what type is that? That type if I can get them would look great in tank!
You know, I have no clue! I think it was sold as an australia rainbowfish, but I’m not a 100% sure. It was a Walmart impulse buy a couple years ago. I bought 4 and 2 died within a couple days from fungus. The third died 4 days later from the same thing, and this is the only survivor. She is a hardy little beast.

Jon Colley

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2018
You know, I have no clue! I think it was sold as an australia rainbowfish, but I’m not a 100% sure. It was a Walmart impulse buy a couple years ago. I bought 4 and 2 died within a couple days from fungus. The third died 4 days later from the same thing, and this is the only survivor. She is a hardy little beast.
Hmm, I’ll google the Australian Rainbow and see what I find! I can always show my LFS the pic and see what they say! Thanks for the pictures, and advice! I’m definitely adding some rainbows to my GT tank!

Reactions: MrsE88
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store