Predator fish for 40 gallon

Chinnavar

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2018
The Netherlands
Maybe a breeding pair of convicts? Theyre beautiful fish, breeding is easy and you can sell the fry to your lfs. You might need an extra tank for the fry tho, to prevent overcrowding.

This thread is full of useful info on breeding them

The guy of fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2020
The wimpy water change schedule would (to me) restrict the type fish you keep to swamp, or rice paddy type, that tolerate less than stellar water quality.
For fish that require high water quality I do 30-40% water changes every other day.
I find the idea of a 9" fish in a 40 gallon tank, inhumane.
The wimpy water change schedule would (to me) restrict the type fish you keep to swamp, or rice paddy type, that tolerate less than stellar water quality.
For fish that require high water quality I do 30-40% water changes every other day.
I find the idea of a 9" fish in a 40 gallon tank, inhumane.
I could completely change that schedule since I don’t even have fish in there besides some guppies right now. I can’t go anywhere either so... I’ll be good at maintaining the water changes because I don’t really do much when I have free time so I can use it on anything

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
A fish I have been seriously looking at getting for my 72 bowfront community tank is the rainbow cichlid. I never looked into them much before now, but they seem like a great cichlid for small tanks. Max out at 5 inches but most only get 3 or 4 inches. Peaceful enough that you can even keep two pairs if your tank is long enough. I would think a pair, or even a harem would be great in a 40 breeder and you could probably have some other fish in with them as long as you keep up on your bio load. In my opinion they have a cool central american look, with nice colors, in a very small package.

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
Amatitlania siquia are also very nice. I believe tangled up in cichlids has some available now, if I'm not mistaken. And I know max cichlids brought in a nice looking wild caught pair, but I don't know when he will have any available.

The guy of fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2020
I’m not so much into the colors of a fish but more into the way it is shaped. Like I would definitely pick some sort of torpedo shaped fish over an angelfish type fish. Most predatory fish have that but bright colors and personality it a big bonus. I don’t know if I’m weird or if other people like that stuff too. Also the mouth. If it has a menacing looking mouth it would surely look cool. Even if I have to get the pickerel and give them to my LFS when they get to big I would be fine.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store