Predator Fish & Schooling Tankmates?

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
Hey All,

I’m doing my best to set up a 125 gallon with a nice 3D backsplash, sand, rock, some plants, and wood (basically a fair amount of shelter). I wanted to stock it with the following:

2 arowana
1 black wolf fish
1 fire eel
2-3 Ornate Bichirs
1 Blue eyed or L24 Pleco

Preferably to start all on the smaller side aside from the pleco and eel.

I wanted to also adding schooling fish like a large amount of tetras or guppies for a pleasing visual affect. Has anyone experimented with this? Will I be restocking the little guys until the other fish are larger? And if so, how many tetras/guppies are the right amount?

Reactions: tlindsey

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
First of all, welcome! I love your name!
Second of all, I think you should stick with 2 Ornate Bichirs, and not 3.
Third, Probably stick with 1 Arowana, and maybe not get the wolf fish.
Lastly, do not get tetras or any livebearers of such. As everything grows, the tetras will get harassed. Surely eaten. They are gonna act as feeder fish to the others. The Bichirs, eel, wolf fish, and arowana will keep eating them. You could Maybe get Blind Cave Tetra’s, but I wouldn’t risk it. I am sure others will agree with me.

Edit: After doing research on the Blind Cave Tetra’s, I think they will get eaten on or nip at the fins of the Arowana. Other than than that, I like your stock list :)

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Guppies wouldn’t be too bad to try. Just get them long before everyone else so they can have a somewhat standing population. Get about 20 and you will have hundreds soon.
Tetras would definitely get eaten. If you plan on replenishing that is fine, but not worth the cost imo. Something like silver dollars or tinfoil barbs would be more permanent.
I agree about getting only one aro, 125 is really not enough for one though.
You may want to consider a red wolf fish, much smaller and safer for tankmates.

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
I disagree with Deadeye Deadeye and The Masked Shadow The Masked Shadow

everything you listed will out grow that tank within a year probaly a couple months and you will end up with a bunch of dead fish. the only fish that could fit in their long term is the pleco so for this many fish you would need close to 500 - 800 gallons sooooo unless you plan on upgraging within a couple months then dont get these fish If you want a predator tank for a 125g I suggest 1-2 delhezi wich get 12-14" and maybe some columbian tetra and maybe hujeta gar or odeo pike would give you the same actiity level as what you listed with your stocking exept this way the fish wont all die. imagine 1 full grown silver arowana in a 125g is the equivelent of a human living in a school locker of the trunk of a small car sooo not the best Idea

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
You may have more fun if you go for smaller variants of each.
Peacock eel instead of fire
Senegal bichir instead of ornate
Butterflyfish instead of Arowana
Red wolf instead of black
They would all be much safer with schooling fish.

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020

everything you listed will out grow that tank within a year probaly a couple months and you will end up with a bunch of dead fish. the only fish that could fit in their long term is the pleco so for this many fish you would need close to 500 - 800 gallons sooooo unless you plan on upgraging within a couple months then dont get these fish If you want a predator tank for a 125g I suggest 1-2 delhezi wich get 12-14" and maybe some columbian tetra and maybe hujeta gar or odeo pike would give you the same actiity level as what you listed with your stocking exept this way the fish wont all die. imagine 1 full grown silver arowana in a 125g is the equivelent of a human living in a school locker of the trunk of a small car sooo not the best Idea
I don’t mean this to be directed at you but it seems half of MFK keeps their fish in far more overstocked sad conditions and on top of that in a plain glass tank. The other half seems to think the rapture is coming if the wrong fish gets stocked in someone else’s tank.

I can agree with the arowana outgrowing a 72 inch tank rather quick although I plan to have a 300 (96 inches) in year and half or so. I think the rest is rather doom and gloom thinking the bichirs or eel can’t make it lol I also think it’s reasonable to be weary of a wolf fish with any other tank mates but I think with proper shelter, spacing, and sizing it’s achievable.

As for the suggestions I think the butterfly fish are a good alternative and trying to max them out at 5 inches would be fun as you don’t see many of them around. I think the point of the thread was just to see if anyone had experience with larger predatory fish just demolishing smaller school fish or are they too small to be bothered type of thing. I appreciate all of your feedback and will maybe hold off on the arowana.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
If you have an upgrade plan that’s better. I wasn’t necessarily worried about overstocking as much as just the fish getting too large to stay in the tank for life.
That said, I’ve attempted small schooling fish with predators (piranha and tetras), it doesn’t last long. Not to say it won’t work for you. Always worth a try imo.

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
If you have an upgrade plan that’s better. I wasn’t necessarily worried about overstocking as much as just the fish getting too large to stay in the tank for life.
That said, I’ve attempted small schooling fish with predators, it doesn’t last long. Not to say it won’t work for you. Always worth a try imo.
I guess i find it difficult/funny to picture a 10-12 inch bichir chasing down tetras haha seems like as waste of time and energy if it’s being fed regularly but I guess I’m not stuck in a tank all day! I plan to have it all set up by this weekend and I’ll drop a few photos if you’re interested!

Reactions: dr exum and Deadeye

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest

what he said -

125g is good for 10”- 12” fish or so and that may be pushing it -

get an oscar and some.... rams? geos? heros?

search on here 125g stocking for ideas

welcome and GL!

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
There comes a point when it isn’t worth their time, it is more of as they grow they are more of a threat. A large bichir won’t see a neon as a food option, but may see a Congo or Buenos as such.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store