Predator Fish & Schooling Tankmates?

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
I guess i find it difficult/funny to picture a 10-12 inch bichir chasing down tetras haha seems like as waste of time and energy if it’s being fed regularly but I guess I’m not stuck in a tank all day! I plan to have it all set up by this weekend and I’ll drop a few photos if you’re interested!
mine ate some african butterfly fish - it’s not a chase situation - it’s the smaller fish resting / sleeping and the bichir being close by then - lunch

Chefken

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2010
Harwinton CT
I guess i find it difficult/funny to picture a 10-12 inch bichir chasing down tetras haha seems like as waste of time and energy if it’s being fed regularly but I guess I’m not stuck in a tank all day! I plan to have it all set up by this weekend and I’ll drop a few photos if you’re interested!
The Bichers will ambush.....every day another tetra will disappear. The schooling fish are so active and the bicher patient in the smallish tank. if you dont already own the upgraded tank I would hold off on bringing in fish that require it......good advice here from others.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I've personally kept a Silver Arowana with a Purple Wolf and Spotted Silver Dollar's and Large Ornate and medium size Lower Jaw Polypterus. The Silver Arowana unfortunately jumped out and was dead. Prior to moving the Aro to a 180 gallon it caught and ate a group of Columbian Tera that I assumed were too fast for the Arowana and I was wrong lol.

Kelly_Aquatics

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2020
I don’t mean this to be directed at you but it seems half of MFK keeps their fish in far more overstocked sad conditions and on top of that in a plain glass tank. The other half seems to think the rapture is coming if the wrong fish gets stocked in someone else’s tank.

I can agree with the arowana outgrowing a 72 inch tank rather quick although I plan to have a 300 (96 inches) in year and half or so. I think the rest is rather doom and gloom thinking the bichirs or eel can’t make it lol I also think it’s reasonable to be weary of a wolf fish with any other tank mates but I think with proper shelter, spacing, and sizing it’s achievable.

As for the suggestions I think the butterfly fish are a good alternative and trying to max them out at 5 inches would be fun as you don’t see many of them around. I think the point of the thread was just to see if anyone had experience with larger predatory fish just demolishing smaller school fish or are they too small to be bothered type of thing. I appreciate all of your feedback and will maybe hold off on the arowana.
yes well many of the members are very expeirenced and either have crazy filtration and are doing a controlled over stocking to lower aggression and even still none of the members tanks are any wear near as over stocked as the stocking you listed the ornates bichirs will get over 24" and the black wolf will get around that too and in a 18" wide tank I dont think that is fair for the fish somthing not so bendy like the wolf might not even be able to turn around and a fire eel gets over 36" so that is over half the length of the tank and more than twice the width of the tank. Im just trying to help

Bluesandtwo

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2019
London UK
My opinion and my personal experience.

Opinion - 125G is definitely too small for your stocking, even if it were a bare tank. But you are filling it with nice decor etc which makes it even smaller still. Regardless of over filtering, maintenance etc... I just don't think you have the space and volume. Sorry.

Experience - I had a 110G setup as a permanent home for 18 Colombian tetra, 6 silver dollars and 3 pictus catfish. It had a silver arowana in as a temporary occupant until it outgrew. I loved this tank so much! The aro left everything alone, if it wasn't at the surface it wasn't interested. The SDs left the aro alone. The Pictus occasionally had a Colombian tetra (I would lose about 1 per fortnight) but that was it.

I hope that helps?

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
I don’t mean this to be directed at you but it seems half of MFK keeps their fish in far more overstocked sad conditions and on top of that in a plain glass tank. The other half seems to think the rapture is coming if the wrong fish gets stocked in someone else’s tank.

I can agree with the arowana outgrowing a 72 inch tank rather quick although I plan to have a 300 (96 inches) in year and half or so. I think the rest is rather doom and gloom thinking the bichirs or eel can’t make it lol I also think it’s reasonable to be weary of a wolf fish with any other tank mates but I think with proper shelter, spacing, and sizing it’s achievable.

As for the suggestions I think the butterfly fish are a good alternative and trying to max them out at 5 inches would be fun as you don’t see many of them around. I think the point of the thread was just to see if anyone had experience with larger predatory fish just demolishing smaller school fish or are they too small to be bothered type of thing. I appreciate all of your feedback and will maybe hold off on the arowana.
I’m not part of the “ your tank is too small” police, but unless you have solid plans on a much bigger tank, skip the arros

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
I’m not part of the “ your tank is too small” police, but unless you have solid plans on a much bigger tank, skip the arros
? ?
The Arrows will stay in the 20 gallon fish store tank for now haha also deciding against the wolf fish as there might be aggression in a smaller tank with so many bottom dwellers. Sticking to the bichirs, a few butterfly fish, and might see what’s around for a nice pike cichlid. The bichirs coming in are 3-4 inches and the butterfly are 3-3.5 already.. hoping they won’t be snacks anytime soon but we’ll see. Going step by step, I’d say the teenage days of throwing the biggest thing you could find at the LFS into your 250 gallon are over, as they should be..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store