Predator Fish & Schooling Tankmates?

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
Fighting a bit of a nitrite spike at the moment, not quite sure how people do this without constant testing. Was gone for a week and had someone who left a bunch of decaying tilapia in the tank. Fish were all breathing very heavy. To make matters worst they did a water change by vacuuming the substrate which I’m assuming destroyed any beneficial bacteria in the tank. Pretty much a disaster recipe, did a 50% water change and added prime/stability again. Removed one of the more valuable fish to a temporary tank until the nitrite level decreases. Definitely will not be doing a fish cycle again but I guess that means I’m learning something!
You've got to be on top of your game to pull off a fish in cycle without stressing the fish. It's a real balancing act between keeping your ammonia low enough to not stress the fish too much, but have enough to actually get your cycle started. Daily testing, partial water changes and prime, to detoxify, are your friends at this point. It seems you didn't do yourself any favours by leaving someone else in charge for a week at such a critical point. I think you can count yourself pretty lucky thus far.

All you can do at this point now is monitor your parameters very closely. Watch your fish for signs of stress and like I said, partials and prime should see you through. Good luck.

Joshuakahan

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2019
Fighting a bit of a nitrite spike at the moment, not quite sure how people do this without constant testing. Was gone for a week and had someone who left a bunch of decaying tilapia in the tank. Fish were all breathing very heavy. To make matters worst they did a water change by vacuuming the substrate which I’m assuming destroyed any beneficial bacteria in the tank. Pretty much a disaster recipe, did a 50% water change and added prime/stability again. Removed one of the more valuable fish to a temporary tank until the nitrite level decreases. Definitely will not be doing a fish cycle again but I guess that means I’m learning something!
They way I do my fish cycles is to always seed the tank either with media, substrate, decor, or store bought bacteria. Then I slowly add fish over around a 6-8 week period and do 20% water changes twice a week and I’ve never had any issues doing that way. Also keep the feedings to a minimum.

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
You've got to be on top of your game to pull off a fish in cycle without stressing the fish. It's a real balancing act between keeping your ammonia low enough to not stress the fish too much, but have enough to actually get your cycle started. Daily testing, partial water changes and prime, to detoxify, are your friends at this point. It seems you didn't do yourself any favours by leaving someone else in charge for a week at such a critical point. I think you can count yourself pretty lucky thus far.

All you can do at this point now is monitor your parameters very closely. Watch your fish for signs of stress and like I said, partials and prime should see you through. Good luck.
Yeah I’ve been doing 15% water changes everyday in the beginning then started doing it every other day. The prime and stability are definitely adding up cost at this point. It’s been a struggle but hoping this is the last major milestone. Will be checking the ammonia/nitrite/nitrate daily from here on. Adding some bio from my lfs today and stocking up on some more prime/stability. Hasn’t been fun by any means but a good lesson. Dove in headfirst on this one but this forums been invaluable

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

KATALEKEEPER

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2020
Brooklyn, Ny
I disagree with Deadeye Deadeye and The Masked Shadow The Masked Shadow

everything you listed will out grow that tank within a year probaly a couple months and you will end up with a bunch of dead fish. the only fish that could fit in their long term is the pleco so for this many fish you would need close to 500 - 800 gallons sooooo unless you plan on upgraging within a couple months then dont get these fish If you want a predator tank for a 125g I suggest 1-2 delhezi wich get 12-14" and maybe some columbian tetra and maybe hujeta gar or odeo pike would give you the same actiity level as what you listed with your stocking exept this way the fish wont all die. imagine 1 full grown silver arowana in a 125g is the equivelent of a human living in a school locker of the trunk of a small car sooo not the best Idea
im in this camp

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
Got a sponge filter from an established tank and added some marine pure media in the filter. Lfs owner helped me out a lot and recommended seed over stability. Lost the African butterfly in the process but the others seem to be breathing normally again. The sponge filter should help with the added oxygen.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Got a sponge filter from an established tank and added some marine pure media in the filter. Lfs owner helped me out a lot and recommended seed over stability. Lost the African butterfly in the process but the others seem to be breathing normally again. The sponge filter should help with the added oxygen.
Butterflys are some of the more sensitive species I've attempted to keep. I'm not at all surprised they didn't survive this type of instability. I'm glad you're recording all this and though it is a shame, still educational to others who might want to "speed cycle" a tank. A seasoned sponge filter is the only way I know how.

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
Butterflys are some of the more sensitive species I've attempted to keep. I'm not at all surprised they didn't survive this type of instability. I'm glad you're recording all this and though it is a shame, still educational to others who might want to "speed cycle" a tank. A seasoned sponge filter is the only way I know how.
I feel there are probably many others on here who are afraid to post their experiences/mistakes in here for the mob haha just trying to be honest

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I feel there are probably many others on here who are afraid to post their experiences/mistakes in here for the mob haha just trying to be honest
Definitely true. I'd be lying if I said most fish I had in the past died of old age. Something liberating in being honest...but to those who watch and judge, also discrediting.

Reactions: Deadeye

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
So zero improvement in my nitrite testing (between 2-5ppm). Cut the feeding, trimmed dead plants/leaves, daily water changes between 15-30%. Worried all the prime is depleting oxygen with fish already unable to breathe at full capacity (still showing signs of stress). At that don’t know what else to do/freaking out stage.

Hybridfish7

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2017
I don’t mean this to be directed at you but it seems half of MFK keeps their fish in far more overstocked sad conditions and on top of that in a plain glass tank. The other half seems to think the rapture is coming if the wrong fish gets stocked in someone else’s tank.

I can agree with the arowana outgrowing a 72 inch tank rather quick although I plan to have a 300 (96 inches) in year and half or so. I think the rest is rather doom and gloom thinking the bichirs or eel can’t make it lol I also think it’s reasonable to be weary of a wolf fish with any other tank mates but I think with proper shelter, spacing, and sizing it’s achievable.

As for the suggestions I think the butterfly fish are a good alternative and trying to max them out at 5 inches would be fun as you don’t see many of them around. I think the point of the thread was just to see if anyone had experience with larger predatory fish just demolishing smaller school fish or are they too small to be bothered type of thing. I appreciate all of your feedback and will maybe hold off on the arowana.
their tanks may be overstocked and plain, but they're also usually around or over 3-400 gallons

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store