Predatory Cichlids

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
Are there any predatory cichlida that stay under 12 inches? I've been eyeing some belly crawler pikes but are there any other predatory cichlids which are mellow?

Reactions: tlindsey

mattybecks

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
Dubai, UAE
I find dimidiochromis compressiceps pretty chilled out fish. They hold their own if confronted, but don't cause any issues themselves as such.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are many, many predatory cichlids that stay under 12", and with other than on the hunt, remain mellow if the tank has enough space to not cramp them.
One of my favorite predators is Stomatepia pindu. The males top off at around 8", and it comes from 1 tiny lake in Cameroon, Lake Barumbi mbo.

I kept a group of 7 pindu in a 6ft tank where the spawned , and lived quite comfortably. The have cephalic pits on the face and jaw that help them locate prey that escapes into the substrate
A little less dramatic in coloration is Stomatepia mariae

If you have hard, alkaline water the genus Lepidiolamprologus contains some beautiful predatory species that remain in your size qualifications.

My pic above is L elongatus which except when hunting, a generally mild mannered in a proper size tank,

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
I've seen the compressiceps at my LFS. I was too afraid because of the eyebiting and non-community fish things that others have said.
L. elongatus seems spectacular! Is it my any means rare?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The Lepidiolamprologus is one of my favorite families of Tanganyican cichlids.There are great choices in that group.
Also,the compressiceps is known as the eye biter but they rarely exhibit such behavior in captivity.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
L elongatus are slow growers, but can get large over time, a better choice for an under 12" individual might be Lepidiolamprolus kendali, which tops off around 7-8", and is more striking in coloration.
I don't think either is rare, but that depends on where you live, and I doubt they are common LFSs, so ordering from a reputable Rift Lake African supplier might be your only recourse, unless someone in your local aquarium club is a breeder.
When my elongatus were spawning a few years ago, I sent a number of juvies out, to a few MFK members around the US

L3CTR0N

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 14, 2017
Singapore
I'm from Singapore so its not really easy for me to get some of these fish.... Sometimes I see cool stuff like freshwater giant trevallies though. I'm still studying so I'm often not free to go to my LFS.

TheMoneyTank(TMT)

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2017
Are there any predatory cichlida that stay under 12 inches? I've been eyeing some belly crawler pikes but are there any other predatory cichlids which are mellow?
Have you considered cichlids like
Basketmouth cichlids (gets 10inches, quite rare, from south America, a smaller less aggressive umbee basically)
Caquetaia myersi (gets 12 inches, same family as the umbee turns solid gold not aggressive but will eat small fish)
Caquetaia kraussii (same as above, different colours more of a blue to the fins)
Caquetaia spectabilis (same as above, rare, metallic green and red throat)
Stomatepia "pindu" (mentioned already,from West Africa)
Obliquidens (from Lake Victoria, small, very colourful, eats insects gets about 10cm, in a large enough tank a harem with 3 males and 9 females would be breathtaking)
Xenotilapia flavipinnis (gets to about 10cm, micropredator of small insects, shoaling in small groups is best, peaceful, from Lake tanganyika)
Lepidiolamprologus (mentioned before)
Julie cichlids (small micropredator)
Compressisceps (mentioned before)
Electric Blue ahli (lake Malawi)
VC10 hap
And most pike cichlids dwarfs, white spotted etc...

Beardogcichlids

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2017
After keeping cichlids from both Africa and the Americas I have found that those from the Americas display more interesting personalities. If you are getting predatory cichlids for their behaviors I would definitely recommend something from central or south America. There are a few options you have from with these new world cichlids that stay smaller and can still get along with others. Even some of the more peaceful species will still display predatory behavior if given the chance.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store