Preferred Non-Live Foods?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Heard great things about northfin!!! I may need to get some and trial it out. Ty!
Yeah your bass may take a while to get used to them as they are pretty hard compared to massavore but they should eventually come around.All of my dats love them.

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Appreciate all of the responses!

I do market shrimp sometimes but I'm lazier in terms of food prep than the average fish keeper :) much lazier.

I don't know how you all take the effort to cut up foods and blend. Haha. Kudos truly. I can spend hours perfecting a filtration setup but have little to no patience even defrosting frozen filets.

Curious if anyone uses cheaper pellets than massivore with good success in terms of growth and coloration?
some of mine eat the omega 1 cichlid pellets 8mm i think - $150 for 10#’s

$15 per pound vs $30 per pound -

i had issues with the costco tilapia i believe vs mysterious illness -

i do 31/40 shrimp 1-2 days a week as this seems to fill them more -

i too am looking for the healthiest / affordable options as i could easily see them eating 5#’s of pellets per month -

going to give the north fin a try again...

it is not cheap for sure!

B080ABA8-3564-41DC-883E-5D0EE9BD354E.png

F4C703A0-150B-46FE-9430-37CED665142D.png

Attachments

aquaticeye

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 16, 2016
Love it. Happy to hear of other pellets being used. Gonna give them all a try probably. Thank you!!!

Thedeerslayer

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2021
Can you please send me a link I can’t find the NLS carnivore pellets. Thank you

NLS Jumbo Carnivore Pellets for growth my larger fish are drab in color except for my Datnoid so color is enhanced by the krill it eats.View attachment 1458863

This is actually cheaper than a large bag of Hikari Carnivore Pellets and don't smell bad lol.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter had a thread in which he examined the possible negative effects of feeding cheaper food to his fish. I had been thinking of switching to a food for farmed catfish but his findings and opinions on this changed my mind on the idea. I have only one up-and-coming monster fish, so Massivore pellets won't kill the budget too badly.

If you are too lazy to thaw out a piece of frozen food, then for sure you won't want to trap your own bait minnows, as I used to do. I would freeze them in bulk for several weeks before thawing and using, mainly in an effort to kill as many pathogens as possible before using them. Nowadays, I don't catch many of my own, but I can buy frozen minnows from baitshops and as long as they don't have salt added they make a terrific food for carnivores. The price is a tiny fraction of any commercial food.

I want to try those Northfin pellets.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store