Prepping for a ~260G set-up

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Christmas is coming a little earlier for me this year. After the issue with my last tank, I always knew I'll get another but didn't know when. Well, I just couldn't stay out too long and will be getting this peninsula tank 72"x30"x28". I'm sticking with the same footprint due to space and reuse of my existing metal stand - but some changes with this acrylic tank based on what I have learned from my previous set-up.

Once the tank arrives, I'll keep this thread updated for anyone that's interested in following along with me setting this up. First things first is I'll need to cut/paint the platform/plywood between the tank and stand. Then PVC plumbing for the (Herbie or BA) drain, return, closed loop / water change drain, etc.

In the meantime, let me know if you have any questions.

1573246088628.png

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I slowly have been pulling together my plumbing supplies. At this point I'm certainly glad I kept all my equipment from the prior tank as this stuff begins to add up very quickly.

I will use all three bulkhead in the external overflow, but I'm still contemplating if I should just use straight pipes (Herbie) or go withy the durso for the BA? I used Herbie on my last tank it was really quiet as well. My bro-in-law offered to build an acrylic sump for me (and I would help him of course). He is just way to busy, and to be honest I really like the look of the Bashsea smart series. I know it's not "required", but IMO it looks good and I won't be doing this again, I don't think.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
It's been slow progress with work/life. The tank arrived in tact and I've been doing so more prep. Sharing some pictures and progress...

Tank sitting in garage: The tank is made of 3/4" cast acrylic on all sides top and bottom. It has polycarbonate lids with a swivel locking mechanism so the lids don't "fly off".

1574219879791.png

External Overflow w/weir teeth. 3 holes for 1.5 bulkhead.

1574219995487.png

Stand with wood wrap taken off (I had this from before)

1574220117956.png

Plywood top cut and painted. Holes cut for closed loop bulkhead.

1574220456450.png

I'll cut a piece of 1/2" (R-tech) Styrofoam to match the platform. Goal is to have platform in place to move the tank on this weekend to start dry-fitting the PVC plumbing...which me luck...

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
The new tank looks awesome. When I setup my external overflow bean animal, I ended up Just using the bulkhead open for my syphon and a durso for my secondary. The e drain is also a open pipe just at the height of the teeth of the overflow. The durso will set the water level in the overflow.

Reactions: DN328

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
The new tank looks awesome. When I setup my external overflow bean animal, I ended up Just using the bulkhead open for my syphon and a durso for my secondary. The e drain is also a open pipe just at the height of the teeth of the overflow. The durso will set the water level in the overflow.
Thanks Wollfman. I'm considering not using any durso. Put a strainer in the bulkhead as a main siphon. I just need to make sure the sump can take on the water volume from the overflow box and backflow from the tank.. The second trickle and dry e-drain are straight standpipes. Would the durso work better than straight pipe for the second drain?

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
Thanks Wollfman. I'm considering not using any durso. Put a strainer in the bulkhead as a main siphon. I just need to make sure the sump can take on the water volume from the overflow box and backflow from the tank.. The second trickle and dry e-drain are straight standpipes. Would the durso work better than straight pipe for the second drain?
I didn’t run a strainer on my main drain, but you certainly can. The second drain will Chug loud with a straight stand pipe. With a durso it will be much quieter. For the returns be sure to drill a small hole just above the water level to prevent back syphon for power failure. Not much water will come from the overflow box. What size sump are you planning on running. You could use the tank calculator on the forum to see how much water from your overflow wil drain to the sump. I’d guess it would be less then 5 gallons.

Reactions: DN328

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
One more thing I didn’t glue any of the pipes inside the overflow box. That leaves the option to change the water level in the overflow and get it dead silent.

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I didn’t run a strainer on my main drain, but you certainly can. The second drain will Chug loud with a straight stand pipe. With a durso it will be much quieter. For the returns be sure to drill a small hole just above the water level to prevent back syphon for power failure. Not much water will come from the overflow box. What size sump are you planning on running. You could use the tank calculator on the forum to see how much water from your overflow wil drain to the sump. I’d guess it would be less then 5 gallons.
I ran a Herbie before and it was really quiet - even for a living room. But, I may try the Durso as you suggested. I know many of the implementations for BA use the Durso pipe.

You are correct, the overflow completely full is 4 gallons is what I remember calculating. My sump volume is ~59 gallons (48x18x16) and I plan keep the water level as low as possible as long as it functions fine BIO and Return Pump. I will have a check-valve on the return. I don't glue the drains as well for the reasons you mentioned.

Reactions: TheWolfman

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
Got the tank on the stand this weekend. I used a couple of the online acrylic aquarium calculators and it came out to about ~250lbs. I still had three other guys to balance the load and to be safe. All of them were at least 6'+ medium build, ranging from 40-52 years old and all thought my calculation was off LOL.

1574714509729.png

1574714560094.png

Plumbing will start later this week. Sorry for the bad pictures. I'm not good at taking pictures while I"m doing the work. I just take whenever I remember to. I will take pictures of the plumbing as I go. I think I have most of what I need, but inevitably I'm sure I be taking a few trips to HD/Lowe's.

Question for folks: I'm looking to use some really fine gravel or some course sand for the substrate this time around. Of all the places I looked, I surprisingly liked this size and color from Petsmart! It seems Petsmart is the only place that has this color AND size. Anyone else use this?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store