ChileRelleno

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
Mobile, AL
FishDojo God;1975053; said:
Hi
I do not understand this :
A very important thing to know is that the debris (organic matter)
and the bio-mass in your filters can die and turn toxic in a very short time period.
This can kill your fish if you let the filters flush this into the tank when power comes back,
filter media should be removed and floated in the tank.

Shall i remove my media, wash it, sit it in the main pond with the fish and p.a.p w airstone under it?
Yes, remove media from filters, rinse in a bucket of tankwater and return to tank... Aerating the media has added benefit.

FishDojo God

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2008
Siam
Now let say you are in a Moonsoon season with power outtages every days or 2 or 3 days usually by night and duing all night long.

What shall be the frequency of rinsing my filters ?

Fatima1917

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Marblehead, Ohio
Assuming that a tank has the correct amount of fish per water,

how many hours can you go without power
before you really need to worry about oxygen?

I lost power tonight from Ike for 4 hours & everything seems to be ok

redchaser

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2008
louisiana
www.redchaser.com
I may be dating myself, but does anybody remember the old hang on back filters that used a siphon through a tube to get water into the filter, with the return being handled by an air pump creating bubbles that pushed water back up through a return tube? One of these and a BAP could really be handy.

ChileRelleno

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2005
Mobile, AL
redchaser;2681501; said:
I may be dating myself, but does anybody remember the old hang on back filters that used a siphon through a tube to get water into the filter, with the return being handled by an air pump creating bubbles that pushed water back up through a return tube? One of these and a BAP could really be handy.
I do believe I mention running sponge filters via air/BPAPs... Why yes, I did indeed.
I suggest using a BPAP to run a sponge filter.
You may improve the limited bio filtration by placing a airstone beneath the media to induce circulation thru the media...
BPAP's can run sponge filters.

arowfan

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2008
North Jersey
www.stickam.com
MilitantPotato;618605; said:
Just a tip on generators, be sure they produce a pure sine wave, otherwise magnetic induction motors (I think this is the ones that have major issues) won't function properly, if at all. This applies to lower end computer UPS's too (Below a $1000,) they put out a stepped sine wave, and very few pump motors function correctly on them.

I'm planning on getting a Honda EU1000i or EU2000i generator, which produce the sine wave equal to what comes from the wall.

Ok so I just bought a generator before I read this sticky :duh: and I'm hoping that its going to work. I'm concerned after reading about sine wave...here is a link to the generator that I bought:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...4&cm_mmc=shopping-_-google-_-D25X-_-100628628
can anyone tell me if its ok or did I just waste money!!!!
Thanks all!
John

xxjoshxx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 6, 2006
Burlington,Ky
from the storms the Hurricane last year
i didnt have power for 6 days no heater was using a wood stove to heat the house but the fish tanks were at 62F also having no water movement Most of my Saltwater Fish survived even my clams but most corals suffered greatly had 4 quiet air battery pumps are SUPER noisy.

We invested in a Bobcat 250 11KW Generator/welder combo on a trailer that 's in our barn and tied into the Power panel with 220 the generator can supply 60AMPS A/C so it works good enough to run all lights fish tanks EVEN the house water pump. works so well! lol and is PURE sinewave so it wont harm delicate electronics like pc's and high-tech stuff

hothew84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2008
virgina
very helpful but i would still go with a generator, the price of a generator is less than 200 dollars these days well for what id need but i only have 2 tank 55g and a 29g but sense i dont have the money for a generator i will be copying and pasting this and printing it out for future reference.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store