Problem with aggressive convict

Icky sticky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2019
West Virginia
Both pieces of wood (cut from small oak root) have caves on both sides. A total of at least a dozen. Seems the convict has claimed them all.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Get some sight line breaks. Tall stuff that gets in the way. If they cant see each other they won't be prone to fight as much. Make more caves as well. More stuff in there gives them stuff to do.

Icky sticky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2019
West Virginia
Good point about the tall stuff. Thank you, I'll give that a shot for now And see how that does. Any suggestions on other fish that can withstand these guys and divide the aggression from the convict a little? My O hates shiny fish but doesn't mind cichlids.

Reactions: Jexnell

Icky sticky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2019
West Virginia
Wow! I did just now put stuff in there and it seems like an obvious solution now. I was worried they wouldn't have room if I put a bunch of stuff in but I see now that they do lol.

Reactions: Jexnell

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
Possibly a couple more male cons, to spread the agression, or a female con. The two would get busy breeding, that would bring another issue tho, them taking over a good chunk of the tank.

I would try the tall stuff more caves first tho see if it helps. You can go to craft stores and buy plastic and silk plants, they are just as fish safe as "aquarium" plastic plants.

Reactions: Icky sticky

Icky sticky

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2019
West Virginia
How do you anchor your stuff down. My oscar will push stuff all over the place if it gets in his way lol. He tends to rearrange the tank more than I do

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store