Problem With Seam on Acrylic Tank

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Just go to a local plastics supplier. Any place that sells and fabricates acrylic should have weld on in stock for a few bucks.

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
csnmusic02;3781940; said:
16 would work better on the inside seam but that means draining the tank, 4 would work on the outside
I'm confused. I need something that will rebond the 2 pieces together. Even if I drain the water down below the level of the separation, how will that fix the separation? I thought 16 was used before butting 2 pieces together and 4 was used when they're already butted together (w/o any adhesive).

Pharaoh;3781943; said:
Just go to a local plastics supplier. Any place that sells and fabricates acrylic should have weld on in stock for a few bucks.
thanks. I looked before and didn't find anything, but i must not have looked very well. I'm sure a city as big as the denver metro area will have it somewhere.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
BTW, I would drain that tank all the way down to get all of the pressure off of the seam when you go to repair it. When bonding, someone on here mentioned that you place a razor blade between the seam to give you just a bit of space. Apply the weld on and then pull the razor blade out and clamp the tank.

BadOleRoss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Virginia
Weld On is like water. It should actually melt to 2 pieces of acrylic to bond them together if you have a nice clean seperation. You will need to drain the tank down well below the seperation. Use a clamp to gently bring the 2 pieces back together. Be careful doing this, acrylic will crack! Once the 2 pieces are together, use the syringe to apply the weld on in the seam. I would leave it clamped up overnight.

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
thanks, guys. so, weld-on 4 is what I should be using, then? I don't see any way that #16 is going to do what I want.

csnmusic02

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2008
Brooksville
4 is water thin and will fit in the crack but 16 is a stronger bond, why we keep saying both, use 4 first it will make a good contact than pour on the 16 and have a very very strong bond, it will make a super solid bond, i made a 120 square tank using 4 to start all the seems and 16 to strengthen them, and i just resealed my 210 with 16. still holding water

pwmin

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 26, 2007
CO via PA
www.myspace.com
csnmusic02;3782955; said:
4 is water thin and will fit in the crack but 16 is a stronger bond, why we keep saying both, use 4 first it will make a good contact than pour on the 16 and have a very very strong bond, it will make a super solid bond, i made a 120 square tank using 4 to start all the seems and 16 to strengthen them, and i just resealed my 210 with 16. still holding water
how do you use 16 in this case, then? just like caulking?

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
I would put a strap all the way around the tank to prevent a blowout until you get it properly repaired.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store