Pseudo-reparium inquiry

NotablySardonic

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2016
Cut-N-Shoot, Texas
I recently went head first into a new conceptual direction on this tank i have. I actually posted about this one in the South American Cichlid section here on mfk because the tank feautures 7 smaller Geophagus Winemilleri I aquired on a whim.

So heres the deal, 135 gallon only 2/3 full.

Sand bottom and plenty of driftwood.

I have a 600l Ehiem canister i supplement with phozpacks.

Also running are 2 internal Whisper 40's and a current generator.
There are 2 powerful l.e.d. light strips one is a Fluval Sky and the other is (for plants) made by Marineland.

Livestock includes;

7 Geophagus Winemilleri (2 inches)
5 Harliquen Rasbora
3 Pearl Gourami (3 inches)
1 Tiny Adonis Pleco
2 Small L191 Royal Pleco
1 Small L27B (or Xingu) Royal pleco
20ish Ghost Shrimp (meant as food. The Geos want nothing to do with shrimp.)

Okay, okay, about the plants, as you can see in the photos i have several types of Anubias, including nana, wedged into the driftwood, some above water, some below. There's also a bit of Java Fern submerged. The idea here is to have some larger growing emersable plants to come way out of the tank. So when i found a Rangeri Sword, i got it, even though it was is terrible shape. The condition of the sword spawned the idea of hanging baskets just at the surface of the water so i could supplement, monitor, and document growth more efficiently. Inside the baskets are lined with fine net and filled with Black Humate. They are hung with Spider Wire and fish hooks off the lighting system. (The shrimp swarm the baskets non stop and won't travel far from them)

Future palns include other emercables such as Japanese Peace Lillys and Ivy. The addition of dwarf and regular water lettuce. And adding this large driftwood branch that hangs way out of the top of the tank and hanging a bunch of Spanish Moss off of it.

The tank stays around 80° and i haven't had any issues at all yet. I can see both submerged and emerced plants growing new leaves and expanding root systems.

Please feel free to send out some feedback or suggestions. Ideas or comments, questions, personal experience is something i hold in high reguard. Thanks again for your time.

fisheatfish

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
OC, CA
Post the photos...sounds like a cool setup.

That royal pleco is probably loving all the driftwood. That pleco would be my main concern, plus the substrate and what plants you plan to have in the future. I had to get rid of my royal cuz it produced so much waste.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store