Pseudoplatystoma orinocense?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
On my memory, he has never participated in Pseudoplatystoma (TSN) discussions. I know he is very experienced with Pseudopimelodidae and the giraffe catfishes.

Reactions: Tobiassorensen

Tobiassorensen

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2017
Sweden
What about GiantFishKeeper101 GiantFishKeeper101 and Rpul Rpul ?

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Thank you so much for this authoritative teachings. You bring much pleasure and satisfaction to my heart.

wednesday13 wednesday13 What do you think Mr. TSN of what BBH has said, a man of few words and posts but boy are they always weighty...?

thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter , this was actually a breath of fresh air to read and enjoyable to see blackbullhead blackbullhead weigh in with facts/articles. Alot can be said for following fishermen and catch locations. Its about the only info we even see these days. Cant go from what they say or think it is but like BBH you can draw a conclusion on i.d. from the local and picture they provide while using books/articles as reference. As always, dna samples are the only difinitive proof but i think its safe to say theres 2 "classes" of this genus as BBH points out also. p. corruscans and "the others" haha..

Using esox lucius as an example. 5-6 subspecies/sp. can be found in different parts of the world. loosely based on colors/patterns much like tsn. Are they just minute differences causing different looking fish with the same dna or actually new fish/new names all together.

Was nice to hear BBH state and provide info to back up that many of the subspecies may actually just be the same fish/sp. i.e. p. fasciatum.

Another likely possibility is that there really is just 2 original species... p. corruscans, p. fasciatum.... the rest may very well just be locations whey they overlap and intermix yielding odd patterened fish and in turn "new names"....

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you much for that, Wednesday13!

Turns out Mike of Aqua Imports questioned their supplier and then emailed me, FWIW:

Here's what we heard back from our supplier:
"shovelnose came from a supplier in Inirida, so could be from Orinoco or Atabapo or nearby rivers."

Puerto Inirida is where most of our Colombian fish come from and they consolidate fish there from all over the surrounding areas and rivers. While it's possible, it's a remote place so it's unlikely there are any large scale farms there producing catfish for food. Also based on the size of the fish (not tiny) and the one-off offer from our supplier I'm confident these are WC. We have been getting offers of different Pseudoplatystoma from the wild from this area for a while now but they have all been huge and freight costs prohibitive so we requested smaller fish and ended up with these.

This is one of the large wild cats we were offered from this region earlier this summer:

thumbnail.jpg

TBTB: The poor thing is missing the pectoral spines almost completely, likely from doing the death rolls when caught in a net, for this is what they do when netted and still having much energy left to fight.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store