Pseudoplatystoma orinocoense pics. Rare TSN?

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
wednesday13 wednesday13 . How's this shot of the larger cats pattern look to you? View attachment 1186629
they look just like my 34-36" p. reticulatum, ill try and get u a good pic, will b overhead view tho :/ mine r in a pool atm... i hope to see them turn out to be p. orino but colors/pattern/head shape are spot on to my specimen. Ur stout/smaller guy is def promising :) and who really knows for certain... i may just have a 34" p. orino lol... good news for u is he really never exceeded 26" until placed in a 1,700 g pool. My specimen is also 7 yrs old... i aquired him at 18" 6 yrs ago. i do have another 6-7 yr old tsn sp. under 26" but it looks nothin like ur 2.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
See post #38 by Jeff Rapps himself about his orinocoense: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...-think-could-it-be-p-corruscans.564171/page-4 (never mind the corruscans discussion, only orinocoense is relevant here)

... Regarding the aforementioned tiger shovelnose species Ps. orinocoense; I can assure anyone interested to read that I did not conveniently label these fish as such when I included a few on a previous Colombian import.
I communicate directly with my exporters. I requested this species to be sought by fisherman collecting in Orinoco tributaries. I know well that there are at least 3 tiger shovelnose species that may occur in the same waters. Without making my request too difficult to fulfill, I asked my contact to relay to fisherman that they may look for the tiger shovelnose with red tail.
Please don't get dramatic and throw your hands in the air, crying 'red tail shovelnose hybrid'!
The fish were collected from the Colombian wild in very limited quantity as described and not from a farm where hybridized red tail cat x tiger shovelnose are produced by the millions.
Based on what I could ascertain, this cat was identified to the best of my ability given the information I possessed at the time.

I spend a great deal of time keying out cichlids, catfish, characins, etc. that I import.
If you haven't figured it out yet, I don't get off on marketing fish by trendy names or telling the customer what they want to hear to make a quick sale. I'm in this business for the long run and work very long hours to maintain a level of personally acceptable accountability.
That translates to expecting much more of myself and maintaining a greater level of responsibility than most may ask of me.

Have you seen the huge variety of catfish species or wild S. Am. cichlid species that I have in stock at any given time?
They surely don't arrive with name tags clipped onto their fins or live in homes with their names on mailboxes when I'm personally collecting them!

The internet is a fantastic reference source. Access to scholarly/research published articles is very important to me.
Further knowledge of collection points is truly indispensable information when attempting to determine what species of fish just came out of the box I imported.

I earned a Master's Degree in Aquatic Biology prior to stepping off the deep end and diving into the specialty ornamental fish import/collection/breeding/distribution business back in 1989.
I still enjoy the opportunity to import or collect fish that are in need of identification.
If nothing else, at the end of the day (or career as it may eventually apply), I'd like to know that I was of some service and provided resources to individuals interested to participate...

Comanswoodwork

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Pa
It's worth noting that according to Jeff, the reticulatum species is not found in the same area as where these were collected. The species known to inhabit the area are metaense, tigrinus, and punctifer.

blackbullhead

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2011
It's worth noting that according to Jeff, the reticulatum species is not found in the same area as where these were collected. The species known to inhabit the area are metaense, tigrinus, and punctifer.
Which region specifically were they collected from? I tried to gather it from Jeff's post, but couldn't pinpoint which river basin was being discussed..

Comanswoodwork

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Pa
Which region specifically were they collected from? I tried to gather it from Jeff's post, but couldn't pinpoint which river basin was being discussed..
I'm not sure he said exactly. I'll go back through my emails from him. Seeing as I was busy and couldn't make it to help net the fish, I'll have to trust that he was correctly informed of the collection point.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Interesting how the tail spotting is clearly different on your two specimen.

Aren't we talking Rio Orinoco, Colombia and Venezuela?

blackbullhead

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2011
I assumed so, but both Colombia and VE have Amazonian drainages, so I was curious to know the exact locality.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
im still skeptical over here lol... even if wild caught, theres so many aquaculture type outfits on/in the actual rivers themselves theres likely to be other specie in the same waters(not to mention hybrids). Reticulatum and Corruscans are used the most for food production due to their size which would place them in areas they dont belong. tail patterns and colors are spot on for my 34-36" specimen. Its the only one of 3 specie ive grown over 30" in almost 10yrs. I value jeffs opinions/info, if they are Orino...they certainlly dont max out at 20".

Comanswoodwork

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 17, 2012
Pa
I assumed so, but both Colombia and VE have Amazonian drainages, so I was curious to know the exact locality.
In my emails with Jeff he referred to speaking to his Colombian contact about collecting these fish in the Orinoco drainage. I'll assume these were from Columbia.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store