Pssst...Tired of buying expensive bottles of Flourish Excel?

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Then get the generic, stronger stuff; Metricide 14. Contains glutaraldehyde, which is the active ingredient in Excel. The stuff sold by Seachem is just diluted with water, just like their bottled ferts.

Excel contains 1.5% glutaraldehyde
Metricide is 2.6% glutaraldehyde

So if you dose Metricide according to Excel doses, you'll be adding almost double, which is typically fine. I've dosed 2-3x the recommended amounts of Excel.

You can get a gallon of Metricide for just over $20 shipped, which would cost you about $80+ if using Excel. This isn't breaking news either, do some reading on the planted tank sites.

BUY: http://www.dealmed.com/Products/Surface-Disinfectants/Metricide-14-Day-1-Gallon

Just Prince

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
Maryland
Their was a guy who posted this on Ac last year and got flamed to death. I did some searching via google DIY Flourish excel and found a lot of interesting links. May have to give this a try. Just need to find a 2.5% solution for sale. Any links Cardona.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
LOL, I think that's how it went until people really figured out what is in Excel. Seachem has made a killing of this stuff!

Just Prince

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2007
Maryland
jcardona1;4913147; said:
LOL, I think that's how it went until people really figured out what is in Excel. Seachem has made a killing of this stuff!

The threads I found are from 06 though. I think his presentation was wrong. The poster talked about diluting it yourself which I think is asking for it. But If I can find a reasonable price bottle of a predilluted 2.5% solution I'll give it a try.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Just Prince;4913163;4913163 said:
The threads I found are from 06 though. I think his presentation was wrong. The poster talked about diluting it yourself which I think is asking for it. But If I can find a reasonable price bottle of a predilluted 2.5% solution I'll give it a try.
Here's a thread with some info on diluting it. To be honest, I don't see the need. All you half to do is cut the dose in half, and it's the same as Excel.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/f...127417-mixing-metricide-cidex-water-okay.html

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
bumpage :)

smithj427

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2008
Edmonton, Canada
So based on the first link you posted this stuff is normally used as a sterilant? Would this only be because of the duration of exposure or what? I'm just always leary of adding chems to the tank that's all.

Otherwise I'm all for it!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store