Pssst...Tired of buying expensive bottles of Flourish Excel?

HarleyK

Canister Man
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
USA
Then get the generic, stronger stuff; Metricide 14. Contains glutaraldehyde, which is the active ingredient in Excel. The stuff sold by Seachem is just diluted with water, just like their bottled ferts.

Excel contains 1.5% glutaraldehyde
Metricide is 2.6% glutaraldehyde

So if you dose Metricide according to Excel doses, you'll be adding almost double, which is typically fine. I've dosed 2-3x the recommended amounts of Excel.

You can get a gallon of Metricide for just over $20 shipped, which would cost you about $80+ if using Excel. This isn't breaking news either, do some reading on the planted tank sites.

BUY: http://www.dealmed.com/Products/Surface-Disinfectants/Metricide-14-Day-1-Gallon

Howdy,

A buddy asked me to review this "home remedy", and I remembered your post. Having done a safety review of it, I thought I'd share that I actually have some serious concerns:

You are right that glutaraldehyde will have the same beneficial effect for plants, but at a considerably higher risk of acute toxicity and not as smart regarding duration of availability, hours after dosing. Excel is the same stuff, just many molecules connected to each other, forming a polymer. That means it acts like a reservoir, slowly allowing light (i.e. photodegradation), bacteria and plants to break it down into usable form. This leads to a steady low level of glutaraldehyde available. Glutaraldehyde is the usable form, and also the toxic form. You add it to the tank, it's like BOOM. High dose right there, bioavailable. The polymer releases it slowly, that's key! If you had crustaceans in your tank, depending on the species, they would die (I calculated the dose from this post and compared to lethal concentration in daphnia). Besides, these concentrations of bolus dose glutaraldehyde are definitely toxic to bacteria, very likely to affect your biofilter with the first couple of doses (might adapt if dosed daily). You sometimes even see a cloudy tank after Excel dosing, imagine that booted. Not a risk I'd be willing to take! Excel is cheaper than my fish...

Lastly, glutaraldehyde is a possible health hazard for you if you don't wear gloves every time you handle it. It's a sensitizer, i.e. at the concentration in this bottle, it is not uncommon to develop allergies against this product. One more reason not to play with it

HarleyK

anarekist

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2011
Los Angeles
so i did a lil reading online and some research PDF's on glutaraldehyde. i guess the product that seachem sells is a isometric polymer of glutaraldehyde and im lead to believe what HarelyK is correct. I also tried to find out how you go about making a isomer of glutaradehyde and it's pretty complicated.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/2003-154/pdfs/2532.pdf

if it was me, i'd test it with gloves and just add a few drops a day or use it in a very very diluted solution.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Just bought a gallon of the 28 instead of 14 as I had an ebay giftcard to burn anyhow. Only difference I can tell is it's 2.5 compared to 2.6% glutaraldehyde.
$22.99 with free shipping so you save a few bucks.
As mentioned DO NOT add the activator it comes with to the solution, pitch it whatever you don't need it. As otherwise doing so will make the 14 or 28 signify how many days its good for (besides making it less effective.)
I know this is a long dead thread, but I want to warn (?) others about Metracide 28. The ingredient list shows a "surficant". That would be soap, IMO. I am considering doing the Metracide 14 and was doing research when I found this thread so beware the 28 formula.

tiger15

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
SNJ
I know this is a long dead thread, but I want to warn (?) others about Metracide 28. The ingredient list shows a "surficant". That would be soap, IMO. I am considering doing the Metracide 14 and was doing research when I found this thread so beware the 28 formula.
It's a "surfactant", likely harmless additive but best to do without it. I just ordered a gal of Metrocide 14 from Ebay for $20 including shipping. It can last a year for my planted 75 if I use it as a carbon source, but I plan to use it as an algaecide.

I did my research and found that the formula of Excel appears to have changed. Older posts said that Excel was 1.5% Glutaraldehyde. Newer Excel says that its 2.5% Polycycloglutaracetal , but the dosing instructions are unchanged:

"On initial use or after a major (> 40%) water change, use 1 capful (5 mL) for every 40 L (10 US gallons). Thereafter use 1 capful for every 200 L (50 US gallons) daily or every other day."

I am wondering if SeaChem is playing with words to hide the formula so people are afraid to buy the cheaper Metricide substitute. There is a thread that demystified what exactly Polycycloglutaracetal is. It is no different from Glutaraldehyde

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/54446-Excel-vs-Glutaraldehyde

I am not concerned about the ingredient name change, but want to know if Excel has indeed increased the concentration from 1.5% to 2.5%. If so, I can just dose Metricide 14 (2.6% Glutaraldehyde) the same as I would dose Excel with no adjustment.

Can someone with old Excel verify the changes.

Reactions: GamerChick5567
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store