Ptychochromis sp. "Northern Red Fin"

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
So I have decided to dedicate a little section of my tanks for malagasy cichilds. The first of them have made their way to my home already... Ptychochromis sp. "Northern Red Fin". I got a great deal on them and know a little about some of the other Ptychochromis, so I went for it. Now, for the problem I have, I can't seem to find any info on this particular race. I have read "The Endemic Cichlids of Madagascar" only to find no info on this fish. The only article I have seen is from Rick Borstein on the GCCA website.

Does anyone else have any info on this species or other from the genus?

Right now I have 6 of them (about 1" long) in a 29 gallon grow out tank with a sand subtrate and a few rocks to hide around. There are also a few groups of java fern in the tank aswell. I am using about 2tbs of salt per 5 gallon bucket of water and they seem to be thriving. I am just looking to scoop up all the info I can. Thanks---

Any info will be a big help

mbunafishkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2007
Bristol (UK)
i dont know much about them but i would love to see some pics:)

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
I don't think I can get a good picture of them... still a little small.

ciclasoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2007
San Antonio, texas
This is a picture of a pair, the male has red coloration to the dorsal and anal fins and it's covered in fine iridescent sprinkles. A small cichlid able to hold itself against any cichlid but not particularly aggresive, in fact, it is fairly unaggresive will do well in your tank. The type locality is unknown to me but this species is a color variant of Ptychochromis oligacanthus.

Saludos and congratulations.
jose

softturtle

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2005
N.W. Indiana
ciclasoman;1143024; said:
This is a picture of a pair, the male has red coloration to the dorsal and anal fins and it's covered in fine iridescent sprinkles. A small cichlid able to hold itself against any cichlid but not particularly aggresive, in fact, it is fairly unaggresive will do well in your tank. The type locality is unknown to me but this species is a color variant of Ptychochromis oligacanthus.

Saludos and congratulations.
jose
Nice looking fish. Were your fish labeled as oligacanthus or northern red fin? I have heard people say that they are the same, but I have never had the two next to each other to compare them.

ciclasoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2007
San Antonio, texas
Greetings:
These fish (Ptychochromis oligacanthus and Ptychochromis Northern red fin) are considered to be the same species, however, collection sites are different- Pty. oligacanthus from Mananjeba was collected by oliver Lucanus while I am not sure where the Northern red fin was collected- though likely to be from Noseby- these tend to be a bit more colorful. The current thought is that the fish were introduced into Noseby relatively recently as the island is of volcanic origin and somewhat young. Adult male of either group may look rather different- event the same male will look different depending on mood (breeding actiivity and such).
Saludos
Jose

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store