>Puffer Experience Here<

PuffPeep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2010
Mansfield, England
Hiya .... well I've been keeping puffers for years, but decided to stop going on forums due to too much drama in some cases. I'm back and am willing to help out anyone that has any puffer questions. I do not have any experience with marine puffers, but I have a very good working knowledge of freshwater puffers and some brackish ones as well. I've kept just about every freshwater puffer there is, and feel I understand what they require after all my years of trial and error. I know that people I thought knew things about puffers turned out to know absolutely nothing and I now know that if I had had someone who knew what they were talking about, my puffers would have had a better chance. Hopefully I can help out any of you who need guidance with puffer keeping. It can be easy, but there are a few rules to follow in order for your little puff-ed ones live a long a prosperous life.

I'm also here because I recently acquired a Fahaka puffer, (along with a snakehead), hence me coming back on MFK again. My Fahaka is just small for now, but I doubt he's going to stay that way for long. He has that "look" -- like I'm going to grow to be a long puffer! I have kept Fahakas and Mbu's in the past, so know all about what I'm in for. I've had all sorts at one time or another. Our old house had tanks everywhere. I've downgraded now, so it's not quite so much "puffer-land" here now.

I also keep a Green Spotted puffer, several dwarf puffers, the new Fahaka and my pride and joy, a male/female pair of Bornean redeye puffers. I am hoping they will eventually mate. I've had him for quite a few years, but only had her the past 2 years maybe. They haven't hurt one another, so it's looking good.

I also keep invertebrates: Devil crabs, rabbit/elephant snails, special shrimp (cameroon, long-armed, cherry and others) and some puffer food to keep their teeth trimmed and nice.

My new little Fahaka wiped out an entire tank full of cherry shrimp in one night's time. He lived with them for 3 days, then wiped them out. I thought that was sneaky of him..... but definitely a puffer tactic. I should know better.

GonePhishing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2013
Philippines
Is it normal for a new puffer in the tank to show pale color with some white circle on his body not on his fins. His bright coloration turned pale after like 5-10mins in the tank. Thank is well cycled but haven't checked recent para.

kevinfleming21

Jurassic Aquatics
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2010
Chandler, AZ
Normal signs of being stressed and or uncomfortable. When they settle in thr normal pattern will come back.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Stevenmars

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2013
Newark NJ
Figure 8s and green spotted puffers tend to have white paler whiter stomachs when healthy and in good spirits. Sick or unhappy puffers get darker stomachs and tend to linger on the bottom. Those two species of puffers need brackish water with a salinity of about 1.004 as juveniles to 1.008 ruffly as adults. Also they need plenty on snails in their diet to help shave down their beaks, as they can grow too large and effect the puffers eating. Puffers also need lots of space and things to play with such as plants, multiple bubblers, hiding spots. Etc. I even went so far as to have a motorhead on a sponge filter which makes waves that they love to ride on

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Those two species of puffers need brackish water with a salinity of about 1.004 as juveniles to 1.008 ruffly as adults.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Just a quick correction, F8's need very light brackish water even as adults, while GSP's do best in almost marine conditions as adults...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

PuffPeep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2010
Mansfield, England
Even during the night I notice that my puffers change colour, when they are resting or sleeping. I don't think belly colour only denotes sickness and unhappiness, but also a change in mood. And if your puffer seems fine after the lights are turned on (mine perks up when lights come on), then there's nothing to worry about. If have behaves oddly for several days, then it's time to worry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store