>Puffer Experience Here<

PuffPeep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2010
Mansfield, England
I am very keen on live plants myself. All of my tanks, with the exception of the cray tank, have live plants in them. The crays tend to eat the plants pretty quickly, and I've had a tank go from being lovely and all planted, to nothing but rocks and wood. I've had a bit better luck with this most recent Fahaka, as he's in a tank with Christmas moss and moss balls, as well as crypts too. He's not bothered any of the plants ... yet, but I had one in the past that would not leave the plants alone, up-rooting and making a general mess.

I would agree with you Vanman that Colomesus asellus is a cute active little puffer that really does seem to enjoy being in a group, rather than on their own. I have found this to be true of dwarf puffers (aka Pygmy puffers). I think most people feel that dwarf puffers are nasty, but if you allow them a tank that's big enough, with lots of plants and hiding places, mine have actually thrived in a group and I truly believe they are happiest when in small groups. It seems that they have a "pecking system", allowing one to assume the role of leader, and the others follow. I haven't had any fights, injuries or deaths between puffers in years.

I think I may just ...... only just mind you, be beginning to understand the puffer!

Curtis Rouse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2012
Central California
I'm in the process of tearing down a 55g s.a. cichlid tank and I'm gonna make it into a brackish tank for 2 gsp and 3 f8's. I'm also setting up a 46 bowfront as a planted red cherry shrimp tank. My question is would a large colony of rcs support these 3 shrimp as a main food source?

Sent from my mind to my fingers to my phone to the MFK servers to you

PuffPeep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2010
Mansfield, England
First of all, in my opinion, I would not put the 3 F8's in with the 2 GSP's. For one thing, if your GSP live to grow to maximum size, they are going to need all of that 55 gallon tank. There's also the issue that F8's need a very low salinity compared to GSP's.

And no, I think you will find that cherry shrimp will not be enough for your puffers. I believe they don't really have much nutrition either. You will need to supplement your puffers with other foods like mussels, bigger shrimp and crunchy foods to keep their teeth trimmed.

Of course, this is just my opinion from my experience keeping puffer fish.

Good luck :)

aharley8930

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2012
clarksville,tn
I'm wanting to get a congo puffer for my 180 gallon tank. I have two severums, one datnoids, a royal pleco and a giraffe catfish. Do you think a congo could work in there? Thanks

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
I'm wanting to get a congo puffer for my 180 gallon tank. I have two severums, one datnoids, a royal pleco and a giraffe catfish. Do you think a congo could work in there? Thanks
Get a 25-30G and keep the congo alone... Reason being they like to bury themselves in the substrate an ambush prey from below...

Meaning no fish is safe, especially with congos naturally aggressive nature...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

PuffPeep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2010
Mansfield, England
Congo puffers are very predatory .... nothing is safe .... nothing. They are really interesting puffers, one of my favourites, but not the least bit trustworthy with any living thing. :)

kissofcrimson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2010
North Carolina, USA
www.facebook.com
I've done quite a bit of research on Dwarf Puffers but have never owned any myself and have a question. I'd be perfectly happy with just having a heavily planted tank with a group of DP's but are they compatible at all with any other fish? Everything I've read says to keep them in a species only tank but I've seen DP set ups with various other species.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ I've seen and tried DP's with Ottos and Cherry Red shrimp before with success... although, once my DP's realized that the Cherry Red Shrimp were edible, well then it was game over shrimp, but the ottos lived there happily..

PuffPeep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2010
Mansfield, England
I've done quite a bit of research on Dwarf Puffers but have never owned any myself and have a question. I'd be perfectly happy with just having a heavily planted tank with a group of DP's but are they compatible at all with any other fish? Everything I've read says to keep them in a species only tank but I've seen DP set ups with various other species.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Strangely enough it was dwarf puffers that got me hooked on puffers in the first place!!
I have kept dwarf puffers since the very beginning and feel they are a bit misunderstood and get a bad reputation unfairly. As most of us know, most puffers will nip at fins .... but that's not always the case.

I currently keep my group of 5 DP's in a tank with lots of other fish, including 3 Otocinclus. There are also several rare gobies (the kind that look like tiny mudskippers), and lots of guppies. My tank is well planted with live plants, as well as pieces of bogwood and also some ocean rock. The DP's hang in a group, moving about together, but I have never seen them bully any of the other fish, nor hurt one another or anything else for that matter. I believe if DP's are in the right environment, they can be very cool, interesting and docile puffers .... but maybe I've just had very good luck all these years?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store